Chapter 4

I leaned against the banister and looked down at Daxton. His face a void of any emotion, as usual.

"Well, I'm here now.....so talk." I said bitterly, not wanting to talk to him.

"Um, can you come down, or I go up?" He suggested. I sighed and waved him up. He strode to the staircase and made his way up. I walked him to my room and sat down on my cushioned chair. I had it specially made for when I started showing a bit more, knowing the weight would wear me out.

"Sit down." I gestured to the chair next to me and he complied, looking around. He turned back to look at me, green eyes piercing my soul. I forced myself to breathe as my airway seemed to constrict.

"I-um, I decided to take the test." My heart swelled at his revelation.

"Really?" I perked up, resting my hands on my belly. His eyes flickered down, following the action before looking back at me, jaw ticking.

"Only to prove you wrong and so you can stop bothering me about it." Those words crushed any hope that was built up inside of me. I blinked back tears and nodded.

"Okay." Was all I said before getting up to get my jacket and purse. We walked down the stairs and Rayna rushed towards me.

"Where are you guys going?" She asked, noticing what was in my hands.

"To take the test." I answered and her mouth made an 'o' shape.

"Good luck." She called out as we went outside. Flashes lit my face and I stumbled back into Daxton. He caught me and put his arm around me, guiding me to his car. Paparazzi swarmed outside the gates of my house.

"Arielle, are you pregnant?!"

"Who's the daddy?!"

"Are you and Daxton having a baby together?!"

I covered my bump with my hands, but that hid nothing. Daxton cursed under his breath as he helped me into his Rolls Royce Phantom Ghost. He jogged to the driver's side and slid into the plush red interior. He reversed out, trying not to hit some of the photographers as he did.

"Put your jacket over your face." Daxton ordered. I did as he said and it blocked the flashes that came from the cameras. I kept it there until I no longer heard the bombarding voices of the paparazzi.

"I'm sorry." A confused expression crossed my face.

"For what?" I asked. He gestured to the window.

"The paparazzi. They followed me to your house without me realizing it. I know you were trying to-uh, hide your pregnancy." He hesitated when he said that.

"It's not your fault." I sighed. "There were going to find out sooner or later." For the rest of the ride to the clinic, we were quiet. It didn't bother me because I didn't know what to say to him anyway. I thought about what the papers were going to say tomorrow, knowing we would be on the front page of almost every cover.

We arrived at the clinic and before I could step out, Daxton was already at my side, helping me out. So he does have a heart, I thought as I took his hand and stepped out the car. I made my way into the building, Daxton following closely behind.

"Hi. We're here for a paternity test." I said to the receptionist who knew who I was since I frequented this clinic often. She smiled and handed me some paperwork for me and Daxton to fill out.

"I'm not filling that out." He said as we sat down. I rolled my eyes at his sassy attitude.

"It's only so they have a documentation of who came here."