Chapter 17

"Okay, talk." I said, adjusting myself on the bed and put Axel on my lap. He started playing with my hair and babbled happily. Daxton walked in, but still stood up. He put his hands in his pockets and pursed his lips before looking at me. I started to worry because he was in his serious mode.

"Uh...I don't know how to start this." He looked up at the ceiling, as if something up there would tell him how to start this conversation.

"Just talk, Dax." I urged, wanting to know what he was trying to tell me.

"You know how, uh, Sam kidnapped you?" He asked and a pang shot through my abdomen, reminding me of the horrific experience of being kidnapped. I nodded.

"Jeremy was behind the entire thing." My mouth fell open and many different emotions ran through me, not sure which one to feel.

"You're lying." I breathed, shaking my head. There was no way Jeremy was behind my kidnapping. "How do you know? Who told you?" I questioned.

"Why would I lie, Ari? And I can't tell you that." He scratched his head, looking uncomfortable. I started to get mad because there was no way he couldn't tell me who told him.

"I don't know. Maybe you're jealous of the attention he gave me." I shot, standing up with Axel. Daxton laughed humorlessly.

"Jealous? Why would I be jealous when I've gotten what I wanted? I have you and he doesn't. Simple as that."

"I'm not a possession." I ground out, wanting to bash his head in.

"Then stop acting like it."

"What?!" I yelled, offended. "Since when do I act like a possession?" Axel made a noise and I looked down at him, seeing his frown. He patted my chest repeatedly, seeming to sense my distress. I kissed the top of his head and I rocked him slightly.

"Look, I'm not giving you this information because it....." He trailed off, setting his lips in a grim line.

"Because what, Dax?" I asked, walking towards him. He shook his head.

"Nothing. I need to work. Take Axel with you because I'm not watching him." He left without another word. My mouth seemed to be off it's hinges because it stayed open at his words. Why was he so moody all of a sudden? I couldn't think of one think that I've done to deserve this treatment.

Already in my work out clothes, I grabbed my purse and the keys and walked out with Axel, making sure to put on my shades. 

"Arielle, look this way!" Camera clicked and I shielded Axel from the prying paps. They just didn't know when to stop. Good thing there was a gate closing off our house. I walked quickly to my car, strapped Axel in, and got in, driving off as fast as I could.

"They're relentless, aren't they?" I asked Axel, looking at him through the rearview mirror. He smiled and chewed on one of his toys, ignoring me. I sighed. "Your dad is going to drive me crazy, I swear. We're supposed to get married when you turn one, so thats exciting right?" Axel cooed and sputtered, waving his toy in the air. 

I smiled, knowing he couldn't answer me. After doing the shopping, I drove to the local gym. When I got in, I strapped Axel into a bouncy chair so that he could "exercise" too. Whenever he moved, the contraption bounced him up and down repeatedly while he kicked his legs. Two hours later, Axel was sleeping and I was tired from my intense workout.

I was walking out the building with Axel when I bumped into someone. "Oh, I'm so sorry!"

"It's okay--Ari?" I looked at the man in front of me and smiled.

"Jeremy! Hi! I feel like I haven't seen you in forever." He smiled at me, but it didn't reach his eyes like it used to.

"Hey, how are you?" He asked. I shrugged.

"Ehh, I'm alright. Just going home to crash. How about you?"

"Same. I'm thinking of moving again, but I'm not sure." He looked at Axel and his eyes lit up. "So this is your little bugger?" I nodded as he walked behind me to see Axel's sleeping face. "Wow, he looks just like...Daxton." He hesitated when he said Daxton's name.

"Yeah, I get that all the time. He has Daxton's face, height, and hair, and my nose, eyes and chin. Fifty-fifty."

"Congratulations. Uh, I gotta go, but it was nice catching up with you."

"You too." I watched as he went into the gym and I turned back to go to my car. the drive home was silent, besides Axel's soft breathing. I started thinking about the conversation Daxton and I had earlier and I frowned. Why would he react like that all of a sudden?

When I got home, I breathed a sigh of relief. It was starting to get dark and I just wanted to relax. I placed Axel on me and Daxton's large bed and stripped to take a quick shower. After the shower, I put of a long t-shirt and shorts and went to look for Daxton.

"Babe! We're home!" I yelled, walking down the stairs to Daxton's office. 

When I got there, I knocked, not sure if he was on a conference call. When there was no answer, I opened the door slowly and gasped. It was totally empty. Not even a speck of dust was left. The only thing in the room was a desk and two chairs. All of his books were gone, along with the pictures with me and him, and Axel in them.

"Daxton?" I called out, wondering why his office was empty. I started to get worried when I searched the entire house and still couldn't find him. I went back to our room and looked in the closet. All of his clothes were gone. "No..." I ran to the bathroom and everything that belonged to him was also gone there too. It was as if he had disappeared from the house. 

"Seriously..." I mumbled to myself. I pulled out my phone and called him. "This better be a joke." After ringing for a while,a new sound burst into my ear followed by this message:

We're sorry. The number you have called has been disconnected. Please call your service provider for any questions you might have. For more options press--

I ended the call and squeezed my phone, not believing this was happening. Why would he disconnect his phone? It was working earlier so this was recent. I sat at the edge of the bed and sighed, running my fingers through my hair. From the corner of my eye, I saw a folded sheet of paper. I reached out and unfolded it slowly. It was from Daxton.

Dear Arielle, 

     If you're reading this, that means I'm gone. Gone as in not coming back. Gone as in you won't have to put up with my shit anymore. You're most likely wondering why I left without notice. I've been planning this for a while ever since Axel was born. It's not you, it's me. Cliché, right? But I'm being very serious. My presence has been and will continue to put you and Axel in danger and I don't want to lose the only two people in the world that I care for with all my heart.

By the time I read this much, pools of tears were streaming down my face.

     You were kidnapped because of bad business that occurred between me and other people that I will not name. The less you know the better. you can be as angry as you want with me as long as you're safe. I've cut all contact with you and any other people that might know you, including Rayna and Marco. It will be as if I didn't even come into your lives. It is bette this way. I love you and Axel so much and I regret that I will not be able to be there to watch Axel grow up, but I know you will take care of him as best as you can. Do not try to contact me and keep Axel safe, no matter what.

Much love,

Daxton King