Chapter 33

The next day was Saturday and it started to rain like crazy. I drove to Michael's house, hoping to get there and back in time to watch the new episode of the Flash. Yes, I was obsessed too.

"Come on!" I honked my horn at the person in front of me who was driving like a snail. When I got the chance, I switched lanes and got in front of the person, making it to Michael's house in a record of time. Many cars filled his massive driveway and and I reached back to get my umbrella, coming up empty.

"Mommy, let's go! It's starting!" Axel rushed me, bouncing up and down in his seat.

"I can't find my umbrella." I explained.

"I can run! I promise I won't fall." He said, opening his door.

"Okay, wait up!" I put my jacket over my head and walked into the freezing rain and walked quickly after Axel.

"Bye, Mommy!" He yelled, running inside.

"Have fun!" I yelled back, waving. I was soaked to the bone and I just wanted to get back into my warm car.

"Ari?" I froze, not wanting to turn around. I could hear his footsteps walk round until he came into my line of vision.

"Michael." I breathed out, my heart doing jumping jacks. He looked so scrumptious in his tight blazer and jacket. He looked surprised to see me.

"You're getting soaked. Why don't you come in and--"

"Michael I--"

"Just for a little bit?" He asked and I couldn't resist. I went under his umbrella and we hurried into the house. He gave me a change of clothes, which I readily accepted because I was freezing. While he was changing, I walked into his office and waited for him. Seeing him after all this time did some crazy things to my heart and I didn't know how to feel.

I looked around and smiled when I saw a picture of the four of us from the fair we went to. We were on a roller coaster and my hair was flying back, a frightened look on my face. Michael was looking at me, laughing as I clung to him. I trailed my fingers down the frame, missing what we used to have.

A sound came from Michael's computer and being the nosy person I was, I went to it, looked up to make sure he wasn't coming, and opened it up. His email was up and I scrolled through it, wondering what he had been up to for the past months. I frowned when I saw an email that said 'Do It Or Else'. It was dated a few months before I officially met Michael.

"Oh my god..." I covered my mouth as I read the words. The door opened and Michael came in, frowning when he saw me behind his desk.

"What are you doing?" He asked cautiously, but I wasn't listening to him. I was still trying to process what I had just read. He came over and looked at what I was reading and his face fell.

"Ari..."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I whispered, turning around to face him. He ran a hand down his face, closing his eyes for a second.

"I couldn't." He said simply.

"Michael, they threatened Natalie! You could've told me and we could've gone to the police or something! You made me believe that you did this willingly." I said, eyes wide.

"I couldn't risk it, Ari. I wanted to protect her.....and you. You don't think for a second that I didn't think about telling you?!" He started raising his voice and he walked away from me, shaking his head. "When I met you, I thought I could do it. Get close to you and hand you over. Then Natalie would finally be safe. But I fell for you." He stared out the window and then slapped his fist against it, holding it there and putting his forehead against the glass.

He started laughing and I started to get worried. "I fucking fell for you, so hard that I didn't know what was up or down. I wanted to do everything I could to protect you, get out of that....that deal. That's why I met up with Jeremy. I gave him money to leave the country in exchange for me getting out of the deal." I walked up behind him and he turned around, a pained look taking over his face. "I'm so sorry, Ari."

"Shh, Michael it's not your fault, okay? What's done is done. Natalie is safe now and I'm safe." I said and he scoffed.

"Yeah, you're safe but you're not mine. I love you, Ari and I know that you want nothing to do with me, but I just want you to know that--" I stopped him by kissing him. He was startled at first, but then he kissed me back with just as much passion as I gave. He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me close. I pulled back and smiled at him when he gave me a confused look. "What was that for?' He asked.

"I love you too, Michael." His eyes lit up and his arms tightened around me. "NowI feel bad because you didn't have a choice and if I'm going to be completely honest, I missed you a lot. I--I've always been in bad relationships and when I have one that's as good as the one we had, I get scared. Everyone leaves me and I--" My voice cracked and I swallowed before speaking again. "--I don't want to be alone forever."

"I won't ever leave you, Ari, you hear me? Look at me." I lifted my watery eyes to him and he cupped my cheeks. "I don't care what happens from here on out. We'll always be honest with each other and get through everything together, alright?" I nodded and sniffed, not wanting to shed any tears. He kissed me softly and then hugged me tight.

"Don't we have a party to get to?" I asked after we stood there for a while. Michael laughed and grabbed my hand.

"We sure do." We left the office and went down to celebrate Natalie's birthday.