Chapter 32

After spending two hours at the police station giving our statements, I had the officer drive us to my house so that I could get my car and I drove straight to the hospital to see how Michael was doing. The voice in my head told me to stop worrying about him, especially since he had something to do with my kidnapping, but I couldn't. I felt drawn to him in ways that I'd never felt before.

"And you are?" the lady behind the counter asked me and I thought about lying and saying that I was his sister, but then I chickened out of it. I didn't have time to argue with another person.

"I'm his girlfriend." She nodded and told me the number of his room. I grabbed Axel's hand and hurried to Michael's room before the lady changed her mind. When I got there, my chest started to tighten at how weak Michael looked.

I walked over to his bed and sat down in the chair next to it. His faced was purple with bruises and he had a tube in his mouth. Seeing him like this sent my emotions in overdrive and before I knew it, I was crying. I let it all out and Axel put his hand on my shoulder, not saying anything. I cried for ever meeting Daxton, for loving him, pining after him, and trusting him. I cried over the betrayal I felt because of what Daxton and Michael did.

I cried even harder when I realized I couldn't trust Michael. Our whole relationship had been based around my kidnapping and I couldn't bear to get betrayed again. My heart just couldn't take it anymore. I thought about how Michael told me that he loved me.

Love. Was that how I felt about him too, though we'd only been together for almost two months? But we were together every single day, laughing, talking, kissing, hugging, just relaxing together. That's enough time to love someone, wasn't it?

"Last time I sat in the hospital was because Daxton had gotten into a horrible accident. Seems ironic that he's the reason why I'm back in here." I said out loud, gripping Michael's hand. I paused, listening to his heart monitor before continuing. "He's a wealthy man, and was still so greedy, that he would kill for money." I laughed, shaking my head. "Look where that's got him."

"Mommy. Is Michael.....gonna die?" Axel whispered, eyes watering. My heart broke and I brought him close.

"I don't know, Ax. I truly don't know."

"I don't want him to die!" Axel cried, tears streaming down his face. I gulped back my tears and Axel gripped me tightly.

"I don't either." My voice broke and I breathed a shuddering breath. Axel leaned back up and wiped his eyes.

"I'm glad Daddy's going to jail." He said finally.

"Me too." I kissed his forehead and turned back to face Michael, still holding his hand. "And then there's you. You said you loved me, but---" I paused, blinking multiple times. "--you hurt me, Michael. Not physically, although it feels like that." I looked up to the ceiling and thought about what else to say. "Although you did what you did, I can't seem to change my feelings for you. I--I love you, Michael. I really do. But I can't do this. I'm sorry. I just can't." I leaned over and left a lingering kiss on his lips and some of my tears hit his cheek. I wiped them slowly, memorizing his face before turning away.

* * *

Michael tried to contact me for two months, but I ignored his calls, texts, voicemails, and even changed the locks on my doors. I wanted nothing to do with him. My life seemed to fall back into it's normal pace and even Axel stopped asking for Michael. By the third month, he stopped. But I still thought about him on a daily basis.

"Mommy, do you think Natalie misses playing with me?" Axel asked out of the blue one day, while coloring in the kitchen. I almost dropped the frying pan. He hadn't asked about her since we left the hospital months ago, so I was surprised by his question.

"Yeah, I'm sure she does. Why did you ask?" I went back to cooking dinner and he shrugged.

"I miss her. And she gave me note today to give to you." He continued coloring, but I looked at him, surprised.

"A note? Where is it?" I asked. He pursed his lips before smiling and running out the room. He came back with piece of paper flying in his hand.

"Found it! Here you go." He handed me the note and went back to the island to color in his coloring book. "I wanna go to her house. She's having a birthday party tomorrow." I ignored him for two seconds while I read the note. It was from Michael.

Dear Arielle,

I know you want nothing to do with me and this isn't a note to try and get you back. Natalie is having a birthday party and would love it if Axel could come. If he can, that would be great and would make Natalie very happy. She misses him.

Thanks,

Michael

I crumpled up the note and threw it in the trash. It's just a party. I told myself. You could drop Axel off and leave right after. "Alright, I'll take you."

"Yes!" Axel did a happy dance and I chuckled, shaking my head.