Chapter 8

Mr. and Mrs. King stood in the doorway and immediately smiled when they saw Daxton. Daxton looked exactly like his father, both with black hair and green eyes. His mother on the other hand, had dark, graying brown hair and grey eyes.

"Daxton! What a surprise!" His mother exclaimed, grinning. He smiled back and I stood uncomfortably, waiting for them to acknowledge me. When they did, their smiles dropped.

"Oh, Arielle. This is....definitely a surprise." Mr. King said warily, eyeing my pregnant belly. I kind of liked him, but he never stood up for himself, letting his wife run over him...and me.

"It is indeed." I responded, containing eye contact. I will not be looked on as weak just because I'm pregnant.

"Are you guys going to invite us in? Ari can't stand on her feet too long." I thanked Daxton with my eyes, feet starting to hurt already. I hated that about pregnancy. I was like a little china doll, fragile.

"Oh, of course! You're lucky because I just finished making lunch." Mrs. King invited us in, shutting the door behind us. "I hope you like sushi." My stomach growled at the sound of my favorite food, luckily not loud enough for everyone to hear it.

I looked around the foyer, taking in the place I used to frequent last year. My, how times have changed. Daxton led me to the table and pulled out my chair. When I sat down, his hands lingered on my shoulders before he took a seat to the right of me.

While Mrs. King went to get the food, Daxton and his father chatted easily and I smiled at how enthusiastic and relaxed he seemed, unlike when he was at work.

"So, Arielle, how's the company? Your father still working his life away?" Mr. King asked me and I chuckled.

"He sure is. He seemed to be working even harder, if that's even possible, ever since I told him I was pregnant." I smiled to myself, shaking my head at the thought. I told my parents when I found out I was pregnant. At first they weren't happy, but they got over it. Hopefully it will be just as easy to tell Daxton's parents.

"Ahh, that's the Antonio I know. Send him my regards, will you?"

"Of course." I answered and he smiled at me. I smiled back and looked up when Daxton's mom came back in with a tray of drinks.

"Here you are." She set down the drinks in front of us and they all proceeded to drink. But I looked at my drink and immediately knew it was alcohol. Mrs. King looked at me over her glass, eyes burning into my soul. "Drink up, Arielle."

I frowned at her. Was she serious? "I'm pregnant. I can't drink." I ground out, trying to keep my cool.

"Mom, are you serious?" Daxton asked, bewildered. She put a hand on her chest, taking my drink.

"Oh my, I'm so very sorry. I'll get you some orange juice." She knew damn well she didn't forget I was pregnant. That witch.

"Water will be great, thanks." I told her. There's no telling what she would put in my orange juice. At least with water, I can tell if it's been spiked. I looked at Daxton and he shook his head. She came back with my water and the sushi, sitting down.

"Arielle, what brings you here.....with Daxton?" Mrs. King asked, feigning innocence. Since she wanted to be like that, I decided to burst her bubble.

"We're here to tell you guys about my pregnancy." I stated. She coughed in her napkin, dabbing her mouth afterwards.

"Why would you do that, dear? Certainly it has nothing to do with us...or Daxton." I smiled at her, knowing she was hoping that what she was thinking was not true.