Things of the past (35)

Pov Lauren

-So Miss Marie, what's your proposal? - I was direct.

The woman took a deep breath and smiled cynically.

-I want to buy Jauregui's Industry.

For some instants I imagined having heard wrong, or fantasized those words coming from her mouth. But no. Keana Marie had really made me that proposal. I took a deep breath, still staring at the woman and thinking about the situation a few minutes ago. I looked at Camila who knew what that proposal had caused in me. With delicateness her thin fingers rested on my hand in a quick caress, almost imperceptible, as if she was asking me to stay calm.

-So, Miss Jauregui? What do you say?

Brian, one of the Issartel shareholders asked clearly excited, in his pose of important businessman when in reality he wasn't. He was just another self-interested man.

-Let her think, Brian. We don't need an immediate answer, Lauren.

Keana spoke calmly with a triumphant smile on her face, which was directed at Camila.

-Can I ask you a question, Miss Issartel? - I let out almost sharply.

-Yes, of course.

I smiled sarcastically. Under the fearful eyes of Camila.

-When passing in front of my company, or when you walked in here did you see some kind of plaque or document that said we wanted to sell?

-No, I haven't seen any. But...

-Right. - I interrupted - I can't understand then. From where did you take such an absurd idea? Do you really think that I would sell the best real estate company to you?

The present shareholders looked among each other fearfully. Keana arched an eyebrow and smiled cynically in my direction.

-I'm sorry, but I don't see the idea as an absurd one. Issartel is rising in the polls and practically equating Jauregui's Industry. I have enough money to buy your company, Miss Jauregui. And make it a much bigger empire.

Arrogant, prepotent. As always. I laughed at her response without a hint of humor, causing certain surprise in everyone there. The atmosphere wasn't one of the best, everyone quickly noticed the blazing gazes between us.

-Ha Miss Marie... It's in these occasions that I see your immaturity in the business field. Issartel still hasn't reached the level of my company that currently is one of the most well successful multinational, money doesn't buy name nor experience, which by the way I have plenty. But don't worry, I have enough money too, to buy yours, and anyone's that comes here.

-Full of yourself, right Lauren? Aren't you afraid that everything goes wrong?

She provoked blatantly.

-I have the right people with me. Nothing will go wrong.

I said quickly, holding Camila's small hand. Camila stared at me somewhat nervous, and Keana looked at our contact and smiled.

-Let's see until when the right people will be with you.

I was counting inwardly from one to one hundred. Controlling all the animalistic impulses that screamed for me to drag that provocative woman out of my company by her hair. But I wouldn't act like that, I learned very well how to come out always on top. The only problem is that in this regard Keana was also experienced.

-Good partnerships never go wrong.

-Yes, of course. But, are you sure that you don't want a time to think? We have a wonderful proposal, right Brian?