fifty-three

"Ready?" I ask everyone and I close the trunk to my convertible. We were able to fit 9 suitcases, 5 huge makeup bags, and 4 smaller bathroom bags into my car.

A couple weeks ago, we all decided that we should go on a road trip. Some suggested Texas (Zeke and Uriah), some suggested Florida, but since my parents own a house in Malibu, I said we could go there.

Now it's Friday, school got out a couple hours ago for Spring Break, and we're all at my house ready to take off for California.

"I can't find my phone!" Uriah yells.

"Check your pocket," Tobias says.

Uriah sticks his hand in his pocket and pulls out his phone. "Oh, there it is."

We all face palm except for Marlene who kisses Uriah's cheek.

"Let's get on the road!" Zeke says while getting into the back of Marlene's mom's suburban. Shauna, Lynn, and Will get in behind him. Marlene and Uriah climb into the front seats, and Mar starts the car.

"I'll see you when we stop," I say to Tobias as I hug him.

"Ok." He holds me close and kisses me.

We kiss a couple more times until Lynn gets noticeably irritated. "You guy won't see each other for a long time! Ahh, it's the end of the world!"

"It actually is to them," Will says.

"Will, for the millionth time you're correct." We all laugh. I kiss Tobias one more time and he gets into the suburban.

I walk over to the driver's side of my car and get in. I start my car and back out after Marlene.

Chris turns on the radio and I Can't Feel My Face by The Weekend comes on.

"I can't feel my face when I'm with you!" We yell/sing, not caring that the top of the convertible is down. "But I love it! But I love it!"

I turn the radio down and say, "They are definitely not having as much fun as us."

"Oh, definitely! They're probably all bored and playing on their phones."

"Oh, yeah. FUN CAR!" I high-five Christina the best I can without taking my eyes off the road for too long.

+ + +

"I don't wanna drive anymore," I whine while pulling out of a McDonald's in the middle of Colorado.

"I just finished driving, and you just started!"

"I drove for like five hours before you!"

"Whatever, I'm gonna take a nap."

"Fine."

I take out my phone and headphones and call Tobias.

"Hey baby," I say into the microphone part of the headphones.

"Hey. What are you doing?"

"Oh you know, just basking in the moonlight."

"That was a stupid question wasn't it?"

"Baby, there are no stupid questions; except for that one."

"Yeah."

"I'm tired." I take a quickly take a sip of my Coco Cola that I got from McD's.

"How about the next time we stop, Christina and I switch so she can be with Will and I can be with you."

"That would be terrific. You're gonna drive, right?"