Secretly 26

Human emotions are something you couldn't trust. You may never know what it may lead you into.

Since earlier, nakikisama na ako sa mga former classmates ko noon sa law school. Ang ilan sa kanila ay hindi na nakapagtapos. Ang ilan naman ay hindi pumasa sa bar exam. Miguel and I were mingling with them in a circular table, located at the far end of the mansion's garden.

I forced myself to become social tonight. Not because I was close to them, but because I wanted to stay away from Professor Jaime's sight as much as possible. Ayokong kausapin siyang muli, considering that he was going to introduce me to Attorney Lim.

Oh yes, it's a dream come true na makilala ng personal ang hinahangaan kong abogado. It's a rare opportunity! Nakita ko na noon sa malapitan si Attorney Lim, pero hindi pa sapat iyon. Kaya lang, nang makita ko ang reaksyon ni Miguel sa pagbanggit ng pangalan ng abogado, naisipan kong wag na lang muna.

Attorney Lim was Miguel's biological father. I knew that. Pero mukhang hindi alam ng nakararami ang tungkol dito. At alam ko rin na hindi maganda ang relasyon nilang mag-ama. Whatever the reason was, I wouldn't ask unless Miguel wanted to. Siguro kung hindi ko kasama si Miguel ngayon, I'd grab the opportunity of talking to Attorney Lim. But I wouldn't take the risk of Miguel getting angry. Ayokong nakikita siyang galit or uneasy about something.

Yes, Miguel was trying his best to become a better man in the eyes of God, but human emotions were something you couldn't trust. You may never know what it may lead you into. Additionally, I wanted Miguel to realize that I was respecting his decision...his personal life. Ayy ewan, buhay pag-ibig na wala naman sa lugar. Tss.

Aalis na sana kami ng maaga ni Miguel, pero pinigilan kami ni Clifford. Wag daw akong masyadong KJ. First time ko daw sumali sa reunion, slash birthday party, tapos uuwi agad. He said that we're no longer students who had curfew hours. At the end, we stayed with them for a couple of hours.

"Come on, Miguel, just one glass." Anyaya ni Clifford sa kanya habang inaabot ang isang glass na may lamang Vodka. Shoot! Miguel was a heavy drinker! Clifford offering a glass wouldn't do any good. Bakit biglang naging inuman ang diskusyon namin dito?

Miguel scowled at the offer, showing a hint of disgust. But an inner part of him was giving in to the temptation, he was just controlling it.

"I told you, Cliff, hindi siya umiinom." Depensa ko.

"I used to before." Miguel corrected and I growled at him. He rolled his eyes while correcting what he just said, "Well, I was an occasional drinker. But when I drink, it's heavy."

"So what's the difference now?" Clifford asked, still insisting the glass.

"The difference is that...I decided to follow Jesus." Narinig kong sabi ni Miguel and everyone sitting around the table dropped their jaws in awe, including me. Miguel was never frank about his faith before. And this was the first time that I heard him saying that. He shrugged his shoulders when he noticed the odd silence, adding in a humorous tone, "Well, it's something that not everyone could understand. I keep trying though."

"What do you mean? That you keep trying, that is."

"I often failed. Especially when the offer is right there in front of me." Miguel said, now staring at the glass of Vodka but I snapped at him.

"Miguel!" I hissed, reminding him to control the temptation.

"Hay naku, Clarice, ang boring mo pa rin hanggang ngayon. Kung gusto niyang uminom, hayaan mo na lang." Si Therez, isa sa mga batchmates ko. Ngayong gabi ko lang din naalala ang pangalan niya. She was that woman who called me "boring" many times during college years. "You're not even his girlfriend."