Secretly 28

It's my job to hear the truth. Even if the truth hurts.

Harry was looking out the window when I entered the hospital room. He must be in deep thought because he didn't notice my presence. Kailangan ko pang magsalita. "How are you, Harry?"

When Miguel sobered up earlier, he left the apartment but in a bad mood. Hindi niya kasi nagustuhan ang pagtatanong ko tungkol sa kanyang ama. In the end, I was the one who tried to understand him. Who would, anyway?

"What are you doing here?" Abot-kilay na tanong sa akin ni Harry. Nilagay ko ang shoulder bag sa ibabaw ng aking nga paa at humugot ng isang malalim na hininga.

I just stared at him longer than I should be, studying the contours of his face and his health condition.

"What are you staring at?" He suddenly felt insecure and I suppressed a smile. He did really have a resemblance with Miguel.

"Don't pity me." He added.

"I'm not. Gusto ko lang siguraduhin na okay ka na."
"I wouldn't try suicide if I'm okay." He looked away.

"Why did you do it, Harry?" Seryoso kong tanong pero hindi naman niya ako nilingon. At wala din aking sagot na narinig. I suddenly felt like talking to no one.

"Miguel was really worried about you." The mention of his brother's name caught his attention because he now turned to look at me, anxious.

"Did he...come here?" Mahina niyang tanong. Tumango ako at nawalan ulit siya ng ganang magsalita. He looked anywhere except my eyes, and I gripped tighter on my bag.

"Suicide won't resolve you to anything, Harry. It won't solve your case."

"It wouldn't. But at least it could do something."

"Like protecting someone? A secret?" I added for him.

"You have no idea." He said, tightening his jaw.

"I don't know anything, unless you tell me. I can help you, just let me, Harry."

"Is that why you're here? I'm telling you, I don't need it. I don't need you and I don't want to win this case." Matigas niyang sabi at gusto ko siyang sapakin gamit ang aking bag. How could he be so cruel to himself? Help is in front of him and yet he denies it.

Oh Lord, please forgive this boy! He doesn't know. Tahimik kong panalangin. He's not my brother but I was dead worried about his soul, his life. All souls are precious in the eyes of God, and Harry is not an exception.

I sighed. What do I do to tame Harry? What should I say to make him cooperate with me?

Miguel.

That's right! Miguel is the answer.

Lord, lead me.

"Do you know why I'm desperately helping you, Harry?" I asked, come what may now.

"I don't want to know. In fact, I'm not interested at all."

"Well, you should be. It's because Miguel sincerely asked me to. I haven't seen him after he left the showbiz, all of us were left wondering where he was, and what happened to him. But one day, he suddenly appeared inside my house--without permission you may add. He appeared to me, pleading. Pleading to present your case. To help you out."