18. Rescue

The next morning we are all woken up by Seth shouting. We run downstairs and jump on the bus and he speeds to the gas station where Erik is. We are about half way there before I am awake to register the panic on his face.

"Seth what is going on?" I ask sleepily.

"Erik was right, they are coming after him and I have a few questions to ask before reinforcements arrive. My best opinion though is that they will be gone." Seth says.

"Great, how far are we away?" Josh asks.

"About ten minutes. Everyone grab weapons. We are going to need them." I say and start grabbing knives and strapping to various parts of my body.

I watch as the others do the same. Almost perfect timing as everyone is armed Seth stops the bus. We all file off and head into the gas station. Seth goes into the back and we all stay in the common area. I pause and for the first time since we disappeared I let my mind wonder. Of course the first place it goes is to Liza. I remember Erik knows something about her death. I jump up and head to the back room.

"Why'd you do it?" I ask.

"Going to have to be more specific." Erik says.

"Liza." I say.

"We were told to hit the primary class and my idiot lieutenant screwed up. I told them not to touch Liza and the idiot did. Needless to say he is dead." Erik says.

"Why did you hit the primary?" I ask.

"Samuel's idea. Said they needed to get the weak ones weeded out. Fairly certain he said the only reason he wanted your sister alive is because he knew you wouldn't side with us if she was killed." Erik says.

"So who are the other five leaders?" I ask.

"Yeah, I think it is time to stop." Erik says.

"You see this is exactly what I was hoping you would say. Now I get to have a little fun." I say and reach for one of the knives in my belt.

I smile and start walking towards him. Seth looks concerned but doesn't say anything to me. I have the knife pressed into him enough that it probably hurts but not piercing the skin.

"If I tell you then they will kill me. Plus they have probably already sent someone to get me. If I was in your position I would be running." Erik says.

"Well then answer my question." I say and push harder on the knife. Now there is a small stream of blood coming from his neck.

"There are five. The top three ranking leaders of each group formed the alliance. They divided up the states and one person from each group runs one section. Leaving one vampire and one hunter to run an area. All major decisions are voted on by all six leaders. If there is a tie we flip a coin." Erik says and just as he finishes there is an explosion.

I turn around and run towards the explosion. I see about thirty guys heading our way.

"Josh, we have incoming. About thirty." I shout across the room.

"What is the plan here?" Jamie asks.

"Don't die," Josh and I shout together.

I pull my two guns out to try to thin them out before they get close enough to fight. I notice the others are doing the same. I shoot about six of them enough to kill them. The thing about vampires is it takes quite a bit of firepower to kill them. It usually takes a minimum of three bullets per vampire. I run out of bullets about the same time they reach the doors.

I grab my knife in one hand and pull magic into the other. I use a weird combination of magic and knife fighting to kill some more vampires. I have killed all of the vampires in my area when I see that Jamie and Hunter are struggling. They are the weakest fighters of us but they are still pretty good. I work my way over to them killing vampires as I go. The vampires have managed to separate Jamie and Hunter. I know from experience that with the two of them apart they won't last long. They feed off each other.

"Jamie work your way left." I shout knowing that they will push her right.

With her going right and Hunter heading left they will work their way together. I turn around just in time to fight another vampire. We are all fighting, the only thing you can hear are grunts and the occasional scream from a dying vampire. That is until Jamie screams.

I spin around not having to fully focus because there is very few vampires left. I follow her eyes and see Hunter laying on the ground. I look back to her just in time to see three vampires coming at her.

"Jamie behind you." I shout.

It does absolutely no good. She is in tears not paying attention to anyone other than Hunter's lifeless body. I am the closest to her but I don't have time to take two steps before they reach her. She screams and I take the knife in my hand and throw it. By now my magic is completely drained and Beau's isn't much better. I watch as the knife goes end over end and hits the vampire in the arm right after he snaps Jamie's neck. I scream her name just as the others finish off the rest of the vampires. I watch as her now lifeless body falls to the floor.

There is silence and then the sound of glass shattering. There is a beeping and it takes me a second to register what it is.

"Everyone out. Bomb." I shout and we run.

We jump on the bus and Seth puts the pedal flush to the floor. I push the thoughts of Jamie, Hunter, and Liza aside and focus on the building that soon explodes. Everyone beside me jumps but I am too far into my thoughts of how to make the hunters pay for what they have done.

I don't even realize it when we arrive back at the house, until Beau pulls me out of my seat gently. That is when I snap out of my daze. I look at the others and see that Katie and Daniel are injured. I walk over to Katie and motion for her to sit on the counter. She slide on the counter and holds her shirt up. I gently put my hand on the large gash that stretches across her stomach. I imagine a broken bone being put together and watch as the gash closes.

"I think one of you all will have to heal Daniel." I say and plop down on the couch in a heap.

Despite the day's' events I am asleep within seconds. I know that tomorrow will be filled with grief and anger.