One ➵ Meeting The Boys

"Hurry up, Lee Chan! We're meeting the boys in fifteen minutes, I don't want to be late!"

When I say 'the boys,' I am referring to my brother's twelve bandmates, Seventeen. They're a Kpop group which debuted in 2015 and pursued years of pre-debut training. I've only met his bandmates a few times but each encounter has been cut short, unfortunately. Today is my first time seeing them since their debut three months ago, and I couldn't be more optimistic.

"I'm coming, be patient!" Dino says as he runs downstairs, phone in hand. He hands me my motorcycle helmet as he fastens his own before fetching his keys off the dining room table. He's too young to drive so our parents came up with the compromise of a motorcycle, instead. "Ready?" 

I hum and follow him outside and he opens up the garage door, revealing his black motorcycle. He climbs onto the front and I sit behind him, placing my hands on his shoulders. He pushes the keys into the vehicle and it revs the engine before pushing his foot off the pavement and beginning to drive.

With the opaque helmets covering our entire faces and hair, we're luckily unrecognisable. I love meeting his fans but sometimes when I'm busy, it's better to not interact with them. Especially when I'm mistaken for a hidden lover, it's just weird. 

After around ten minutes, Dino pulls up outside of the company's building where already, there's a diminutive but loud crowd of photographers and fans gathered outside. I try and greet as many as I can but Dino pulls me inside of the building, ensuring we're not late.

"Areum, Dino!" A voice belonging to Woozi calls. I see him running towards us from the opposite end of the corridor and when he reaches us, he hugs me tight. "I've missed you so much!"

"I've missed you too!" I grin, mentally thanking Woozi for being almost an identical height to me so craning my neck when talking to him isn't necessary, unlike the other boys. "Where is everyone else?"

"They're in the practising room waiting, come on," Dino and I follow Woozi to the practice room where we're greeted by eleven smiling boys.

"Areum!" Hoshi grins and hugs me tightly.

"Hey, Hosh."

"We've missed you a lot," Wonwoo admits after the entire group say their individual greetings.

"And I've missed you all, too. Thank goodness it's summer break now."

"We can spend it together," Joshua says and the other's nod. They'll be promoting a lot but Chan has already promised me that we'll make plans together during their breaks.

"Just to remind everyone," Dino states, catching their attention and I know what's coming causing me to groan. "Areum is my twin and therefore, she is sixteen. Do not flirt with her!"

I feel myself becoming embarrassed instantly, so I try and cover it up by rolling my eyes and glaring at Chan. 

"She's like a sister to us, we won't do that," Vernon laughs and wraps an arm around my shoulder.

Out of all the boys, besides Dino, of course, I have always been closest to Vernon. I'm not sure why, maybe it's because we're a similar age but I've always considered him as my best friend in the group (when the fans have asked). 

"We were thinking of going on a road trip next week, what do you think Lees?" Mingyu asks, referring to Dino and myself by our family name. I turn to my brother, mentally asking him for permission before nodding.

"We'd love that!"

"Good! It's going to be great," Jun says. He doesn't speak much due to the language barrier but I can already tell he's growing more confident. 

"We were planning to go to the beach, what do you think?" DK asks and I nod excitedly.

"Yes, I love the beach!"

We live in Seoul, the capital city of Korea and it's located far from the coast. Therefore there are no beaches here and we have to travel to visit one. I've only been to a beach once but I was very young and the memories are faded.

"Who wants to go to the movies?" Minghao, more familiarly known as The8 suggests.

"I heard there's a new film starring Ryu Seung Ryong, we should watch that," Dino says.

"Sure, let's go!" Jeonghan smiles and everyone grabs their coats and phones.

I sit between Dino and Vernon in the minibus. Minghao and Jun sit opposite us as the leader, S.coups drives with Woozi adjacent to him in the passenger seat.

"Areum, look at this." Vernon laughs and shows me a funny photo of the boys causing me to laugh.

From the corner of my eye, I notice Seungkwan look at us with a glimpse of an emotion I couldn't quite decipher in his eyes, anger maybe? I frown and shrug it off, continuing to laugh with Vernon.

"We're here!" S.coups calls and we all climb out of the minibus.

Jun offers to buy our tickets and Jeonghan buys us all popcorn. Unfortunately I can't eat it because of my braces so I give mine to Wonwoo and Mingyu, but of course I thank Jeonghan anyway.

On the way into the cinema room, I notice an unfortunately familiar girl preoccupied with her phone. I walk behind DK who looks at me funnily so she doesn't see me. Kim Eui, a popular and self loving girl in my school who always has and until we leave school, always will pester me at every opportunity she's given.

"Areum, what are you doing?" Woozi whispers beside me.

"That girl over there," I say quitely and he nods when he notices her. "She's a bitch."

"Oh," He smiles at my words. "I'd say hide behind me but you're probably taller."

I laugh and walk behind Wonwoo instead until we pass Kim Eui. I sit beside Vernon and DK and Dino sits in between Hoshi and Joshua.

The movie starts and when a sad scene plays, I notice DK tearing up beside me. I place my hand on his and he jumps at the contact before relaxing, realising it's just me.

"Don't cry," I whisper. "It's not real."

I look into his eyes and he nods, a small smile on his face. I've always known how attractive DK is, but seeing him so close causes my heart to flutter and my mind to race. He's two years older than me and an adult. I can't fall for him, nope, not happening.