Three ➵ Thunderstorm

During the night, the frightening sound of thunder interrupts my peaceful sleep. I sit up, scared with wide eyes. I crawl to the window and peer through the curtain to see rain pouring heavily and lightening piercing the sky as thunder roars. Since I was a child, I have always been afraid of thunderstorms and usually my mum would comfort me but because I'm not home, she can't.

I climb out of bed and throw on a red hoodie I find hanging on Joshua's door. It smells of him and it's extremely comfortable. I quietly open his door and tiptoe through the corridor until I reach another room. Without knowing who it belongs to, I open it and see someone sitting up on their bed looking outside of the window.

As I walk closer, I notice it's Wonwoo. He turns slowly and faces me, a small smile on his face.

"Can't sleep either?" He asks and I nod.

"Nope."

"Come here." He pats a space next to him and I smile before sitting next to him.

"I hate thunderstorms." I admit quietly.

"Really? I love them. Well, I love watching the lightening strikes because they look pretty. The thunder just sounds ugly."

Another groan of thunder rings through the air loudly and I jump, almost falling backwards and off the bed but Wonwoo somehow manages to catch me using only one arm.

"Be careful." He whispers and pulls me up.

"Thanks," I say quietly and he nods, turning his attention back to the window. "What time is it?"

"Four am."

"Wow, it's early."

"I know, I don't think I'm going to be sleeping again this morning; this thunder is too loud."

The frightening sound of thunder rings again and I try to disguise my fearful expression but Wonwoo sees through it. He lifts up his duvet and puts it over us both. We're still both in a sitting position so I don't find it weird or anything.

"Are you cold?" He asks and I nod honestly, pulling Joshua's hoodie closer to me.

Instead of fetching another blanket like I expected him to, he shuffles closer to me and wraps an arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him. My eyes widen but luckily because of the angle, he doesn't notice.

"Better?" He asks and I nod silently against his warm chest. "You're shaking. Are you cold or scared?"

"Mostly scared."

He leans forward and pulls the curtain shut using his spare hand. The lightening and rain disappear but the sounds are still evident.

"You can keep it open if you want. I know you like the lightening."

"It's OK, you're not shaking as much already." He's right; I'm not.

I begin to get tired and close my eyes. I assume Wonwoo does too as he slowly lies down, his arm still around my waist and my head against his chest. For the second time in a matter of hours, I fall asleep with a smile on my face but this time, with the sound of Wonwoo's steadily beating heart serenading me.

✮ Next Morning ✮

"Should we wake them?"

"If Dino finds out then they're screwed."

"Why was Areum in his room in the first place?"

I slowly wake up to the boys' voices whispering beside the bed. I turn to see Woozi, Mingyu, Hoshi and S.coups looking at Wonwoo and I with wide eyes. I carefully untangle myself from his tight grip and sit up.

"It's not what you think!" I whisper-shout.

"Then explain!" Woozi says quietly.

"There was a thunderstorm-"

"What's happening in here?" Dino's voice rings through the room, waking Wonwoo and making all of our eyes widen. "Why are you sitting on Wonwoo's bed, Areum?"

"I-I just-"

"We were all talking in here," Hoshi interrupts my stutters. "She just sat down."

I mentally thank Hoshi for saving me even though Dino continues to look skeptical. He eventually hums and nods.

"Alright, I believe you," He says and I sigh in belief. "Jeonghan made us breakfast."

"Alright, we'll be through in a minute," Wonwoo informs him and all of the boys leave, leaving us alone in a surprisingly comfortable atmosphere. "Good morning."

"We're screwed." Is the first thing I say to him.

"What? Why?"

"Mingyu can't keep a secret to save his life! He's going to tell Dino and-"

"Areum, calm down," He laughs and places his hands onto my shoulders. "It didn't mean anything, anyway."

For some reason, his words stung.

"I know, but that isn't the point."

"Stop worrying," He assures me and stands up. "Come on, I'm hungry."

I follow him into the kitchen where all of the boys beside Vernon and Seungkwan are eating breakfast. Dino sends me another funny look but I avoid eye contact.

"Where's Vernon and Seungkwan?" I ask.

"Seungkwan is still sleeping and Vernon is visiting his girlfriend." Joshua replies and my eyes widen.

"Vernon has a girlfriend?"

"Yeah, she's coming on the road trip with us next week. Nice hoodie, by the way."

"Oh," I mumble and sit down. "I never knew."

"They met during our debut, he probably hasn't had the chance to tell you." Mingyu tells me.

"That makes sense."

I eat the breakfast Jeonghan prepared for us all with the boys. The conversation is little and I know Dino knows I wasn't just sitting on Wonwoo's bed as he's looking at us both weirdly. He's not stupid. Wonwoo is currently sat opposite me, next to Dino and I can't help but feel strange, knowing I slept in the same bed as a nineteen year old. I'm only sixteen!