Prologue

Prologue:

"Well, Kim, you were right. It rains here, a lot." I said loudly into the phone, trying to speak over the pouring rain. I clutched tightly onto the handle of my umbrella. It was cold, thick rain with unrelenting wind that constantly tried to knock me over. I had just gone to get a cup of coffee when this random storm had hit, and it came at me with full force.

I decided to forget the coffee and make it back to my apartment. That was when one of my good friends, Kimberly, called.

"I can tell." She replied, and I had to strain to hear her. My teeth began chattering against each other; my entire body was freezing.

"I'll call you back when I'm home." I promised her, not able to hear her response when a loud boom of thunder sounded above me. I jumped a little, jogging quickly across the street to get to the other side. I walked quickly down the sidewalk, holding the umbrella up against the wind, fighting it. I could barely recognize the landscape around me thanks to the merciless rain.

I put my cell phone safely in my purse, trying to keep it dry.

However, a few moments had passed before water splattered me right in the face. I came to an abrupt stop, wondering how water was getting through the umbrella.

Much to my dismay, I saw that a hole had broken through it. I cursed under my breath and closed the umbrella, my entire body now soaking with water in mere seconds. I quickly looked for some kind of shelter, and saw an alleyway to my left. The buildings on either side had long roofs. It appeared that the rain couldn't get into the alleyway.

I ran into the alleyway, sighing in relief when I felt no more rain and the wind had left me alone. Breathing heavily and shivering, I leaned into the brick wall, closing my eyes.

I was safe. For now.

I could just stay here until the storm let up.

I glanced down at my clothing. I had worn a dress earlier to a get together that one of my friends invited me to. Her name was Francine and she lived here in London all her life. I had a great time with she and her friends. But the dress I wore was white, so now it was completely see through. I gritted my teeth in frustration and unconsciously crossed my arms over my chest.

"Now don't do that." A voice was in front of me. Yes, in front of me. My eyes widened and I stood up straighter, keeping my hands where they were.

My eyes searched the darkness, but found nothing.

And then, suddenly, it seemed as if the darkness moved. I felt as though it was just my imagination until lightning flashed across the sky, illuminating everything for a brief second. I saw a guy standing in front of me, and could barely catch a glimpse of brown curly hair. Then everything was dark again as the sound of thunder came afterwards. I pressed more into the wall behind me, and had to admit that I was a little unnerved by what I just sat.

A guy standing in the shadow?

"C-can I help you?" I asked shakily, finding it hard to speak clearly due to the chattering of my teeth.

"Are you new here?" The voice continued. He had a deep, husky voice with a British accent. I strained my eyes, trying to keep an eye on him.

"Yes, I'm new here." I replied, only seeing darkness.

"Well you should know something." His voice sent a shiver down my spine. I couldn't understand - why was he having this much of an effect on me?

I glanced outside the alleyway, seeing that the rain was slowly staring to let up. It seemed that in just a few minutes, the downpour would condense to a drizzle.