Chapter 17

"Are you afraid of me?"

"No..."

"Why not? I've raped women, I've sent people to their death sentence, and I've instilled fear into so many people. How could you possibly not be afraid of me?"

He was beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. It was all I could describe him. The area around us was an ethereal bright white made of nothingness. It was just us-Harry and I.

He wore his trademark jacket over loose jeans, and his hands were shoved in his pockets-his typical pose. And his hair was curly as ever, springing in side-swept, frizzy-less curls that framed his features.

And he was beautiful. I didn't know what it was. It was like his presence had some kind of aura around him.

"I'm not afraid of you." I reassured him. How could I be afraid of him in a place like this? My heart felt like it was full of joy. I could see him perfectly; there was no darkness.

There was absolutely nothing I could fear.

Nothing.

"I could kill you." Harry said slowly, as if speaking to an infant. His eyes never strayed from mine. He was watching every single facial expression I made. "I could rape you. I already have so much control over you. I could literally control every thing about you. I could make it so that you stop eating for a few days. I could put you in a cage. Hell, I could even make you pleasure me however I see fit." He paused, his eyebrows scrunching when he indeed saw no fear present on my face. "How can you not be afraid of that?"

"I know you won't do any of that." I said confidently.

"How do you know?"

"You would've done it already."

"I've made women cry."

"I know."

"I've seen women beg for mercy. Mercy they never got. I've seen men beg-men who had families. Their devoted wives turned into desolate widows overnight, and their kids lost their father."

The thought did disturb me, but I replied, "I know."

Harry then said, in a softer tone, "I've taken innocence away from many people, Claire. I tainted them, changed their lives-forever."

Fear was gradually seeping into my heart. But I remained standing my ground, looking Harry right in the eyes, and said, "This is all you've ever known. But..." I stopped myself.

"But what?" Harry asked, taking a step towards me. He seemed reluctant to come near me. He eyes me warily, as if he was trying to figure something out in his head.

Reluctantly, I mumbled, "You can always change, Harry."

Harry stared at me for a good few, long seconds.

Then he repeated, "Change?"

I nodded feebly. "Change."

"You think I can change?"

"I know you can."

His eyes narrowed dangerously, and suddenly, the brightness around me was suddenly dimming. Soon, I was surrounded in swirling shadows, and Harry was only a spectral figure in front of me. Fear had overtaken me, and I glanced around frantically, trying to keep an eye on Harry. My skin curled under the lack of light. Darkness had overtaken everything.

"I won't ever change." Harry's voice was different. Cold. Distant. It seemed to echo all around me. "You think you can change me? You're dead wrong. I'm not some mental case that just had a rough past, Claire. I don't go around looking for a woman who can pity me. I don't want a woman's pity."