Chapter 20

"So you held a gun?" Eleanor repeated, her eyes comically wide. Her hands stayed flat on her knees and her frail body leaned forward, her long, cascading brown hair falling past her delicate shoulder blade. She wore a loose-fitting sun dress, and she even added a white flower in the corner of her hair. To sum it up, the girl looked utterly adorable.

I nodded, feeling an ounce of pride as I was almost finished telling her everything that had happened. It had been 2 days since that night with Harry. For those 2 days, I have surprisingly tended to Harry-making sure he took his pills and stayed in bed. He actually gave up trying to walk after that one time, when it hurt him to. He was generally grumpy when he first woke up, but as soon as he took the pills, he would act strange. We would talk-yes talk-swapping stories here and there. I originally thought he would reveal all kinds of background information about him, but I found out that I was actually the one doing most of the talking.

Harry would lay there, listening to each word that I said. He would nod his head in the appropriate places to show me that he really was listening. It was so strange, seeing him like this. I knew it was only the effects of the drugs, but honestly, I dare say I preferred this Harry to the cold, distant one that I had first met.

"I bought this fish," I told him one day, and his hands were wrapped tightly around my form to hold me to him. Whenever the drugs had their way with him, he always had a hand on me, whether it was just on my shoulder or arm. "I think it was called a guppy. The woman selling the fish told me the fish was harmless-she promised me this fish was different. I think I remember guppies being the kind of fish that eat other fish if they were in the same tank. Anyway, I had bought this angel fish a while ago, so I was cautious about buying this seemingly harmless one simply because of the reputation they had. However, in the end, I came home with the fish and put him in the tank. One the first day, when I looked at the tank, my angel fish was missing an eye."

"An eye?" Harry repeated slowly, his eyebrows raising.

I nodded, my smile vanishing from the thought. "And when I came back the next day, the angel fish's other eye was missing."

"So he was missing both of his eyes?"

"Yes. When I looked at them on the 3rd day, my angel fish was only bones. I was so angry at the time that I took the guppy fish out with the net, took it outside, and stabbed it with a twig over and over. Then I buried it in some rocks or something." Harry laughed at this, and I couldn't even help laughing with him. I could still remember carrying the fish outside. I was so angry at what the fish had done to my angel fish. I suppose I was also angry that the woman had lied to me about the fish being harmless. I always believed, just a childish belief, that after I buried the fish, my house was haunted-that the angry spirit of the fish still lingered, swearing to have his vengeance on me for killing him.

This was the only time I had done anything remotely bizarre-in the crazy sense. I was typically a quiet kid, reserved for trying my best to make the best possible grades in everything. Even though I longed to go out and play most of the time, my parents would insist on me improving anything I needed improvement on academically. At first, it was my "terrible" handwriting, and then it was how I couldn't quite pronounce my "r's," it was always one thing after another.

I would talk for minutes, non-stop. I wouldn't even have to worry about boring him simply because he listened to every single thing I said. I couldn't help but feel relaxed. Most of the time he wouldn't let me move, but as soon as his eyes closed and his breathing grew labored, I was able to untangle out of his arms.

This was so different than what I was used to. The big, bad Harry Styles was actually...being human.

Louis came by every day to check up on Harry. He said Harry was healing perfectly, and he should be fine in a week or so. He still told me to give Harry the pills though. He would also check the house-for what I don't know-and today he surprised me by bringing Eleanor for a visit.