Chapter 23

Did I just say that out loud?

I jerked away from Harry for a moment, my heart skipping a beat in my chest, my eyes widening for a fraction of a second. I could not believe the words-the question-that had just tumbled out of my mouth. I never told my lips to utter them; it was as if they had moved on their own accord, speaking my thoughts aloud.

Of course, I had pondered the question ever since the night I read the journal that belonged to Harry's mother. I just haven't mustered the courage to ever ask Harry.

His face was the prime example of a statue; his eyes turned hard and his lips turned into a firm line; his jaw clenched in deep thought, and I couldn't quite tell if he was angry. I didn't know why he would get angry from a question, but I had a feeling that he and his mom had to be somewhat close, so the topic had to have been sensitive to him.

I stepped back, my breathing halting in my chest as I locked eyes with him, unable to look away. My entire body stiffened; prepared to flinch if any sudden movement was made. I had completely forgotten that I was naked, and my bare breasts were left visible in the open.

To my surprise, his jade eyes noticed this fact, and the guarded look softened a bit as I felt him flexibly gaze at my chest. This whole thing would've been considered comical, the fact that my nakedness could sway Harry's attention so easily. But it wasn't, especially when his eyes darkened with a whole new emotion.

And it definitely wasn't anger.

"I, uh, think this is a good time to tell you something." I stuttered, taken aback by the look in his eyes. "I kind of read your mom's-"

"-what did I tell about hiding yourself from me?" Harry asked in a low voice, and I flinched when his large hands suddenly pried my hands from my breasts, holding them firmly to my sides. His crimson lips parted, a deep breath exhaling from his mouth as his eyes glanced down at my chest again. "Fuck."

"What?" I asked under my breath, my head feeling light. Dizzy. "What's wrong?"

He chuckled at my nervousness, the sound a deep rumble emitting from his chest. My face paled as he took a step towards me, his towering frame casting over mine. I suddenly felt very trivial standing in front of him like this.

There was so much he could do to me.

"Harry," I breathed.

"Hm?" His eyes didn't flicker to my face. His head slanted to the right, and I felt his hands lightly touch my breast.

I jerked away, letting out an involuntary gasp and turned my back to him. My cheeks were ablaze, and apprehension crept its way into my belly, immobilizing me to the spot.

"Claire." My name was a soft murmur, and I literally shivered from the huskiness of the voice.

"I read her diary." I said, keeping my voice firm. I couldn't distract him again. "I know about everything."

My mouth fell open in pure shock when I felt his arms encircle around my waist, pressing me flush back against him. I felt his firm chest press into my back, and his soft curls brushed against my cheek as he laid his chin on my shoulder, giving me a squeeze around my middle.

"Do you now?" He sounded slightly amused. Did he not understand what I was saying?

I took a shuddering breath, closing my eyes. I could hear the gentle sounds of the pond, the trickling of the waterfall that led to it.

"Yes."

"Interesting." The word rolled off his tongue, and I had a feeling he didn't really feel intrigued. His mind was obviously elsewhere. His lips started kissing the back of my neck, his hand sweeping my hair over my right shoulder to give him more access. My eyes immediately closed, another shiver threatening to ripple through my spine from the shockingly enjoyable contact. The water of the pond licked against my bare belly, and I had started to feel slightly cold, since I was dripping wet and bare naked.