Chapter 8

8.

I was roughly set down, and nearly fell from the sudden impact, but the man wrapped his arms around me and I felt something cold touch my cheek. It took me a few seconds to realize it was a pistol aimed right at my head.

Oh my God.

My breath hitched in my throat, and my heart nearly stopped beating. My entire body went rigid with newfound terror, and I felt his arm duck around my neck, holding me tightly against him. He pressed the pistol almost painfully into my cheek, and my arms instinctively grabbed a hold of his arm though I did not struggle in fear of him pressing the trigger.

My eyes immediately met Harry's, and his eyes were trained on the man.

"If you move," The man said, "I will blow her fucking brains out. Got it?" I noticed that he had an accent. Was he Russian?

I wanted to open my mouth to say something, anything, but nothing came out - only a shaky breath. And I couldn't find myself looking away from Harry.

"You and your dog's aren't welcome here." Harry stated coldly. "What made you think you could even think about stepping foot in here?"

I was watching the exchange with wide eyes, not understanding half of it.

Harry then continued, "And what the hell were you thinking when you took my girl?"

I swallowed thickly. I was his girl?

I heard the man laugh quietly behind me. "Well, I had to get your attention."

"I don't waste my time with filth like you." Harry shot back, his features overriding with disgust. "You think you can overtake me and my boys? Take away the gun and we'll fight, just you and me. We'll see who truly deserves this town."

The man was no longer laughing. "I didn't come here to fight."

Harry chuckled at that, crossing his arms over his chest. "I knew you didn't. I can recognize a coward when I see one."

I cringed, letting out a wince, when I felt the cold metal dig deeper into my cheek.

"Watch your tongue, boy. You seem to forget whose life I am control of right now."

Harry's eyes glinted angrily when the man called him a boy, but I saw how his jaw clenched when he saw my discomfort. I knew he really was struggling to keep his tongue in check, and I was highly grateful for it.

He was actually trying to keep me alive.

"I'm here to deliver a message from Vladimir himself." The man spoke, sounding a bit more confident than he was before.

Harry stared at him, waiting for the message.

"He wants this town." The man told Harry. "And he's going to get it."

Harry raised an eyebrow, clearly unimpressed. "Is that it?"

"Well, yes-"

"I want you to deliver him a message, then." Harry said. "That is, if you're still alive. Tell him this town belongs to me."

"You can't hurt me." I could feel my stomach turn upside down when the man's arm left my neck, and his hand fell over my chest in a suggestive way. I could feel my cheeks immediately heating up, mortification being brought to my attention. I then felt his lips right in front of my ear as he said, "We sure have a beauty here, don't we?"

Anger coursed through me as he fondled with my right breast, as if I was some toy. I gritted my teeth, forcing myself to stay silent as he touched me without my own consent.