Chapter 30

This was wrong.

This was so wrong.

I was being treated like some kind of criminal. I was in a small, stereotypical interrogation room with four plain, white walls and a rather bright lamp hanging overhead, and my hands were cuffed behind me, strapped behind the chair I sat on. There was a large table stretched in front of me with a chair right across from it-completely empty. The room was deadly silent, and I could feel the seconds slowly ticking by.

I shouldn't be here.

I shouldn't be handcuffed.

I shouldn't be strapped to the chair.

I was so incredibly nervous as I sat there, waiting for whatever was to come. I didn't know if some bulky interrogator would barge in and demand to know where I was on the night of the 24th or something-like they did in the movies. I didn't know if there was going to be some maniac that was going to threaten to cut off my fingers for committing some kind of crime. Hell, I could be put into jail for something I didn't even know what I did.

I sat there, trying to figure out why they arrested me. I tried to convince myself that they had no proof that I did anything wrong-because I didn't. Harry took me from the start and forced me to become his "girl," and I was then forced to stay in his mansion. I didn't hurt anybody, and I didn't rob a bank-I committed no crime.

So, because of this, I shouldn't feel afraid.

But I did.

I shouldn't even have to be thinking about what I could've done wrong. I was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was walking through a heavy storm, and I had to take shelter in a nearby alley. And that was when I met Harry.

And he just wouldn't let me go.

I suddenly heard the distant sound of voices vastly approaching. I immediately sat up in the chair, my leather jacket slightly hurting my chin from the zipper, and I waited for something to happen.

The door opened-not with a bang-but it opened slowly. My eyes immediately saw dark hair, followed by dark green eyes. I recognized the woman instantly from on TV, and it was then I really felt sick to my stomach.

Her eyes met mine, and she stepped into the room, maintaining eye contact before closing the door. She stayed standing there, just staring at me, until she spoke.

"So you're Harry's bird." She stated. She held no attitude about the subject; she was just stating facts. I could feel my eyes narrowing when she sat down in the chair in front of me, leaning forward to look at me closer. I felt her eyes staring me down-as if studying me through a microscope.

I didn't like it.

"And you're the new police chief." I replied dryly.

"How did you get involved with Harry?" She asked, tilting her head in a curious way.

I tried to rein back my suspicion, but I failed miserably. "That's really none of your business."

"Oh, it's every part of my business." The police chief smiled at me, almost cheerfully, and I couldn't help but feel like she was almost mocking me. The woman obviously held no respect for me-the feeling was absolutely mutual. Behind me, my hands turned into tight fists, trying to release some kind of frustration with this whole ordeal. "Now, how did you and Harry meet?"

"I have the right to remain silent."

The woman wasn't fazed by my bold statement. "Are you a prostitute?"

I said nothing.

"Is that how you got involved with him? You were a prostitute and you wanted some kind of power? Somewhere to stay?"