18. Antidote

"Hey baby girl," I murmured to the sweet dog who payed across the counter," it's going to be okay."

I ignored the smell of death that was slowly taking away her warm scent. She was dying m, that much was apparent and it wasn't an easy breezy trip for her but I was determined to help her through it. Deaton and Scott worked around me, while I waited for Scotts shift to finish and drive him back home. They were just injecting the sweet little dog with something to help with her pain and I was trying to keep her attention from it.

"Your doing great with the dog," Scott says to me, handing Deaton the injection.

"Yeah well I'm trying to be hopeful like you," I answered him just as the front doorbells chimed and the dogs barked.

"Scott can you go see who it is?" Deaton asked, not liking away from cleaning the injecting spot. The dogs barked louder then, like there was an intruder.

We all knew exactly what that meant, all of us looking at each other while I straightened up and walked behind Scott towards the front.

The tall form of Isaac Lahey stood in front of the door, looking awkward and a tad tired," uhm... hey."

----

"He's not getting better, is he?" Isaac questioned quietly, watching as slowly pet the little dogs head. Deaton didn't answer, merely looking at the animal in silence, "Like cancer?"

"Osteosarcoma. It has a very distinct scent, doesn't it?," Deaton finally confirmed, walking over towards Isaac, "Come here. I know you're well aware of what your new abilities can do for you. Improved strength, speed, and healing. You ever wonder what it could do for others? Give me your hand. Go on."

Softly Isaac grabbed onto the dogs hair, combing his fingers gently into it. I knew exactly where this was going, Scot had once told us about this. Isaac Lahey was taken the dying dogs pain away. It was not a healing process like I could do but instead just a helping mechanism, something equally as important.

"What did I do?" Isaac asks stunned.

"You took some of his pain away." Scott answered him in joy. I mirrored his proud expression.

"Only a little bit. But sometimes a little can make quite a difference." Deaton adds, in the most gentle tone.

Isaac quickly uses the sleeve of his shirt to wipe away the tears running down his face, looking at us with a boyish grin.

"It's okay. First time he showed me, I cried too," Scott reassured him.

-------

"They're leaving tonight, during the game," Isaac informed of his fellow betas.

"So, why are you telling us?" I asked.

"I'm not telling you. I'm asking you. I'm asking for both your advice." Isaac explained.

I raised my eyebrows, looking at Scott who answered, "From us? Why?"

"Because I trust the both of us," he says, looking at us with nothing but truth.

Wait? Why would he trust me? I've given him nothing but shit the last couple of weeks.