Chapter 25

I woke up early in the morning staring at the ceiling.

Today's the day. Today is the day to get that son of a bitch in prison for good.

I stood up and stretched, reaching up to the ceiling. I felt some of my muscles crack. I know it's weird but I love that feeling.

I lay out my clothes on my bed. A simple tan knit sweater with dark blue jeans and my black heal combat boots.

I then get into the shower and let the hot water trickle down my body.

I stepped out of the shower and finished getting ready.

I walked down stairs into the kitchen and I saw a nice home cooked plate of pancakes waiting for me. They tasted just like how my mom made them. My Grammy must have looked through my moms recipe books.
I finished eating and heard my aunt come in talking to my Grammy about what's going to be happening today.

I finish up eating and I walk in as their talking, "Good morning." I say as I walk up and hug my Grammy.

Grammy kisses my head and warmly embraced me, "Good morning, sweets."

I look over to my aunt who is scratching her arm for some reason.

"Uhm, you okay, aunt Alice?" I ask worriedly.

"I-I'm okay..." She says as she quickly runs off.

"What's wrong with her?" I ask as Alice leaves the room.

My Grammy shrugs, "She's been acting like this ever since your mom died. It's just how she's reacting to the whole thing, I guess."

"Yeah..." I say and look to the floor, thinking again about my mom.
I remember spending time with her. Watching movies, going to the park, playing, but that's all in the past.

I guess I zoned off and my Grammy pokes me, "Huh?" I look up from staring at the floor.

"You okay, hun?"

I nod and she checks the time, "Okay we should get going."

(^_−)−☆

When we get to the court house we all take our seats.

I look at my surroundings. Its a big brown room with benches and a place for the jury. Theres a big stand where the judge sits and a seat near it where the witnesses, victims and where a suspect talks, I guess.

I see everyone in the front take their seats. I watch Daniels lawyer and him chat. I can't really hear what their saying.

Daniel notices and glares at me.

My eyes widen and I take a step back and fall into my seat.

His eyes, they scare me... Remembering what happened a while back, with the gun, and threatening me... A shiver runs through me. I need him out of my life forever.

I feel a arm wrap around me. I look up and see Jason look down and smile at me, "Hey." And he kisses my head.

I blush and smile at him, "Hi..." Jason is one of the only people that can make me happy in this dark, scary world... Well, including my friends.

When the judge uses her mallet and slams it Jason and I look up and we know that the trial is time to begin.

"Let court begin! What does the defendant plead?"

"Not guilty." Daniels lawyer says.

Yeah, "not guilty." Please...

During the trial some people come up to speak about the actions of what Daniel has done, the lawyers ask questions and yadadada.

Now its time for Daniel him self, blood and flesh, to walk up to the stand.

The DA walks upfront to Daniel, "Why did you kill Terry Green?"

Daniel shakes his head, "I did not kill Terry. I loved her."

"Oh yeah, you 'loved her'. Did you still love her when you were going around and sleeping with other people?"

Daniel runs his fingers to his hair, "You don't understand!"

The DA slams his hands on the table between him and Daniel, "Understand what?! That you threatened poor Grace into not saying anything about your cheating!?"

Daniels lawyer yells, "Objection!"

"Denied." The DA yells back.

"Listen, I'm serious, I didn't kill Terry... Listen, I bet you the murderer is in this room right now and we don't even know it. I can't believe I've been accused of false accusations just because of one stupid threat!" I notice a tear going down Daniels eye.

Could he be serious? Maybe he wasn't lying. Maybe he's right... The killer is some where in the room.

The DA continues to try to get Daniel to tell what happened. What the DA wants to hear.

At the end of the trial, Daniel ends up being guilty.

(^_−)−☆

Later that night it was time for dinner. We all sat in our seats, prepared to eat, but, someone is missing.

"Wheres mommy?" Avery asks as she takes a bite of her mash potatoes.

We all look at each other, where could she be? We haven't heard from her in a while.

I notice that everyone is basically ready to eat and I don't want any of them to get up, so I "volunteer as tribute", get the reference?

I stand up from the table and walk upstairs. Theres a good chance she's in her bedroom so I'm gonna check there first.

I open the door slowly and when I do I see a pool of blood surrounded around Aunt Alice with a knife in her hand.

My mind is shocked. Why would she do this? Why? Why? Why?

A tear rolls down my face as I think of the experience I had as a kid when my father hung himself.

I think of every now and then if something triggers it, and these are one of these moments.

My eyes survey the room, trying not to look at the blood.

I notice a white sheet of paper on the desk in the room and I walk over to read it.

Dear My Family,

I love you all, you all are my heart and soul of my life.

My kids, I'm sorry this has to happen. It just has to. I will always be there in your hearts.

Now, I know your wondering all why I did this... Well its because I did something I can never undo. It was the most hideous thing and the lowest thing I've ever done in my entire 49 years of me living.

I killed my sister, Grace's mother, my moms daughter. I was just drunk and angry... I was angry because Terry was marrying Daniel. I thought Daniel and I loved each other and we continued to have an affair through out this holiday. So, I thought if I got rid of her then me and Daniel could be together. So, I got rid of her. And now I'm ashamed and I can't live with this guilt. So I had to leave, I didn't know where else I could go... So I'm just choosing not to live.

I'm so sorry my family. I hope that you could forgive me... Someday. You probably won't though.

Goodbye forever.

Love,

Alice Conti

She... She... Killed my mother?

I break down crying on the floor, clutching onto the note the reveals the truth.

I hear footsteps to this room.

I don't know how long I've been staying here crying but its been a while so I'm sure their wondering why I'm not down at the dinner table with Alice by now.

I watch the door open and my Grammy looks at me then at the pool of blood, gasps and covers her mouth. I watch as a few tears fall.

I don't know what to do... One thing I think of and do and walk over and hand Grammy the note. She reads it. And we both cry together.