Chapter 31

A/N Hello Friends! I know it has been a long time since I posted last, but I want you to know that I'm around and have not given up on this story. Thanks for hanging in there between chapters! You're the best.

XXX

The week flew by as the team caught a case that kept them busy. It had been a while since they'd worked such long hours, but once the killer was in custody on Thursday afternoon, Vance took the team off rotation until Monday. Tony and Ziva were out the door shortly after the director's announcement, promising Gibbs they'd be there early on Saturday to help decorate. The older man huffed, having almost forgotten about the party. Thankfully there wasn't much to do except some light cleaning and that could wait until after spending time with his son. He'd tried not to disrupt Timmy's routine too much, sending him home with Ducky so that he could sleep in his own bed. However, the two hadn't spent quality time together all week. It took all the energy he had to push the elevator button to take it to the daycare. Once the elevator doors opened he stepped inside, pushed the button and leaned back against the railing. It was a quick ride to the next floor and Gibbs could hear wailing before the doors even opened. He listened closely; sighing in relief when he realized it wasn't his kid who was crying.

Timmy was pushing a train around the room when Gibbs walked in and the older man couldn't help but smile. Even though it had been a long week and he was ready to sleep for days, seeing his son always made him happy.

"Timmy! Ready to go home, kiddo?"

The toddler immediately dropped the train, spinning around to face his daddy. "Dada!" He shrieked, toddling over with his arms in the air, ready to be lifted up. Gibbs scooped him into his arms, peppering his face with kisses. "I missed you, son."

"Mish u Dada."

After signing Timmy out, Gibbs thanked the employees for the extra shifts they'd worked over the week and they headed out the door to go home. The drive was quiet as it was close to Tim's naptime and he dozed in the backseat. As they pulled in the driveway he jerked awake, whining as he tried to figure out where he was.

"We're home, buddy." Gibbs unbuckled the car seat and lifted the toddler out. Tim laid his head on his shoulder as the older man traipsed into the house. Excited to see the pair, Jet barked a greeting as Gibbs leaned down and rubbed the top of his head. "Good to see you too, boy. Want to go outside?"

The canine followed Gibbs to the back door and bounded outside. He didn't waste any time doing his business and was back at the door before Gibbs had time to put down the diaper bag. The older man laughed as he let the dog inside and found a treat. "Hmm, you must have really missed us, Jet!" Not wanting to miss any of the action their furry friend followed them upstairs, eating his treat while Gibbs changed Tim's diaper. Once he took care of his son, Gibbs carried him into the master bedroom. He noticed Tim's confusion when he sat him down on the bed and ruffled his hair. "I know you're wondering why I didn't put you in your crib to nap, sweetie." Sighing, he brushed Tim's hair away from his forehead and continued, "I missed you so much that I thought we could take a nap together."

Tim smiled tiredly, rubbing his eyes as he watched his daddy remove his shoes and work clothes. After slipping into a pair of sweats Gibbs pulled down the comforter, drew the blinds shut and moved Timmy toward the top of the bed. The little guy sighed contentedly when Gibbs got into bed and pulled him close. A moment later Jet bounded up on the bed, lying down near the bottom. It didn't take long for the two Gibbses to fall into a deep slumber, while Jet kept a watchful eye over them.

A sharp hunger pain woke Tim in the early evening and he slowly opened his eyes to see his daddy lovingly watching him. The little guy patted his tummy and mumbled, "Ba ba."

Gibbs sighed, leaning down to kiss Timmy's forehead, "You must still be tired, kiddo. You know you're too old for the bottle now."

A frown appeared on the toddler's face as tears formed in his eyes. Gibbs brushed the hair off Tim's forehead and whispered, "Don't cry, sweetie. It's been a long week and I think you'll feel better once we get some food in that cute little tummy." Reaching down, Gibbs lightly tickled the pudgy tummy protruding from Tim's shirt. The little guy laughed softly, tossing and turning in an attempt to get away from the tickle monster.

"Glad to see a smile on your face, son. Let's get you changed and wrangle up something for dinner."

After disentangling the two of them from the sheets he gathered Tim in his arms and carried him into his room. While he changed Tim's diaper he thought about the reasons he would be asking for a bottle. Since he'd been weaned there had only been a couple of times when he'd asked for it. It usually coincided with exhaustion, vulnerability or illness. Frowning as he ran through the possibilities in his mind, he gently rubbed his finger over Tim's cheek and sighed, "You feeling okay, sweetie?"

Tim's brow furrowed as he pointed at his mouth. "Oushie."

"Aww I'm sorry, kiddo. Can you open your mouth so I can take a look?"

The toddler willingly opened his mouth, while Gibbs turned the lamp to have a better view. It didn't take him long to notice that Tim's bottom back molars were breaking through his gums.

"Ouchie is right, Timmy! Did you tell Grandpa Duck so he could give you some medicine?"

Tim grimaced as he shook his head. Gibbs sighed, "Next time you're hurting you have to let someone know, okay?"

"Yesh Dada." Tim whispered, his thumb slowly creeping up to his mouth.

"That's my boy. Now let's go downstairs to get you some medicine and order something for dinner. I don't feel like cooking tonight. How about Chinese? The noodles will be nice and soft for your poor mouth."

By this time they were downstairs and Gibbs opened the door for Jet to go outside. Turning back toward the kitchen he sat Tim on the counter, keeping one hand on the little guy as he grabbed the ibuprofen from the cabinet. The older man chuckled at Tim's bedraggled curls and said, "First order of business tomorrow is to get you a haircut. We want you to look handsome for your birthday party." The toddler's eyes widened and he squealed in pleasure. Gibbs' heart melted when he heard his son's contagious laughter.

As he finished administering the medication he continued, "We're going to have cake and ice cream and a lot of our family will be here too. You can show them all your new swing set."

Tim clapped jubilantly. He'd been excited to show off his new birthday present he'd received from his daddy. "I'm glad you're looking forward to it, kiddo. Now, I'm looking forward to some food."

After retrieving his phone from the table he punched in the contact for their favorite Chinese restaurant and placed their order. He'd thought about taking Tim outside to play while they waited, but he wasn't feeling well and he'd rather cuddle and watch a movie. Besides, tonight would be the last few moments of solitude before the family arrived. Once Jet was fed, Gibbs poured a sippy cup full of milk and started a fresh pot of coffee. While they waited for the food to arrive Tim became impatient from his perch on the counter and motioned that he wanted down. As soon as his feet were firmly planted on the ground he took off to the family room to play with Jet trailing close behind. Sighing, Gibbs turned to the sink to wash the dishes that had piled up during the week. Ducky had tried to keep the place tidy when he babysat, but Gibbs imagined it took all of his energy just to feed and bathe Tim after a long day at work. It wasn't long after he placed the last bowl into the drying rack and a fresh cup of coffee poured that the doorbell rang.

Tim continued playing while Gibbs answered, but once he got a whiff of the delicious smells he licked his lips and followed his daddy into the kitchen. Gibbs chuckled when he turned to see Tim standing on his tiptoes with his fingers wrapped over the edge of the table, desperately trying to reach the food.

"Doesn't it smell yummy, sweetie?"

The little guy nodded vigorously, not realizing the movement would cause him to lose his balance and fall backwards. He landed on his bottom with a thump and it took all of Gibbs' willpower not to swoop in and comfort his baby. Once Tim started walking, Gibbs learned he wouldn't always be around for each tumble and that the toddler would have to learn how to self soothe. However, that didn't mean that he didn't know the difference between Tim's cries and was by his side if warranted. Fortunately, Tim was relatively unfazed by the tumble and got to his feet, rubbing his padded bottom.

"You got some good padding there, kiddo. Glad to see you're all right. How about we eat in the family room tonight while we watch a movie? Why don't you go pick one out and I'll bring our plates in."

"Kay Dada." Tim responded, scrambling into the other room to pick out a movie.

After dishing food onto plates, Gibbs collected silverware, napkins, and an old sheet to spread out on the couch and set them aside. Taking inventory on everything that needed to move to the family room he decided it was best to do it in two trips. Gathering the drinks in one hand and the cutlery and sheet in the other he padded out into the family room. Tim already had the movie picked out and held it up for his daddy to see.

"Twain - Dada - twain!"

"I see, Timmy." Gibbs replied, placing the beverages on the table and spreading the sheet out over the couch. As he worked he continued, "Let me get everything ready to go and I'll put on the movie."

Tim nodded as he dropped the DVD case on the floor and ran toward the couch. Gibbs sucked in a nervous breath as he watched his little guy awkwardly swing one leg onto the couch for leverage and then pull himself up the rest of the way. Tim was quite proud of his accomplishment and gave his daddy a big toothy grin.

Gibbs leaned down and pressed a kiss to his forehead, sighing, "Daddy doesn't need any more gray hair, son."

The toddler only laughed, crawling from one side of the couch to the other before settling down against the armrest. Once he knew where Tim planned to sit he arranged the drinks and silverware. Satisfied with the placement he returned to the kitchen for the plates of food, remembering to grab a bib along the way. Tim bounced in excitement as Gibbs set the two plates on the table and said, "Looks yummy, huh? Let me put in the movie and we'll start to eat."

As the previews on the movie started the two Gibbses began eating their Chinese. It wasn't until the older man fed Tim a bite of lo mein that he felt a sudden lump in his throat. They were having the same dinner they'd had nearly a year ago when Gibbs had found a very scared, confused and regressed Timmy. As the memories flooded his mind he shakily picked up his mug of coffee and took a sip. Realizing that his daddy was upset, Tim reached out and took hold of his hand. It wasn't until Gibbs felt the tiny digits pressed against his palm that he began to snap out of it.

"Kay Dada?" Tim whispered, his bottom lip quivering at the sight of his protector upset.

Gibbs forced a small smile as he nodded and pulled Tim closer to him. "I'm okay, sweetie. I suddenly remembered something that happened when you were just a baby. I'm sorry - I didn't mean to upset you."

The older man didn't object when Tim crawled into his lap and gave him a hug. Gibbs held on for dear life as he thought about how much had changed over the year and that he was blessed to have a child again. They embraced for a few moments longer until Gibbs mumbled, "C'mon... we don't want our food to get cold."

Tim didn't object, sliding off his daddy's lap so that he could get back to his dinner. Glancing over to make sure that Gibbs was following suit he stuffed a spoonful of noodles into his mouth and turned his attention back toward the television.

Surprised when Tim was still asleep the next morning, Gibbs had plenty of time to shower and make a list of chores that still needed completing before the party. Jack was due to arrive later this evening and was insistent on taking a cab from the airport. Gibbs knew better than to argue with his father and was looking forward to seeing him. They'd been working on their relationship and visited each other when Gibbs' work schedule allowed. Jack loved being a grandpa again and every time he visited he brought a new book for Tim's growing collection. Although Gibbs didn't have a lot of time to work on projects anymore he'd been working on making a large bookcase that would adorn one wall of Tim's room when finished.

Pouring another cup of coffee he looked over his list and decided to get started before waking Tim. Walking into the guest bedroom he saw that Ducky had stripped the bed and left a fresh set of sheets folded neatly on the dresser. Shaking his head at the older man's kindness he went to work on making the bed. A quick round of dusting and wiping down the bathroom and he had a couple of chores crossed off his list. Glancing at the clock he realized it was time to wake Tim and trudged upstairs to the toddler's room. Tim was stirring when he opened the door and Gibbs leaned down to rub his back.

"Good morning, son. How are you feeling?"

Tim rolled over, stretching lazily as he let out a small whimper.

Gibbs winced sympathetically and sighed, "Well, let's get some food in your belly and then I can give you some medicine."

The little guy reached for his daddy to lift him out of the crib and snuggled close to him as Gibbs walked to the changing table. "I'll have you dry in no time, kiddo." While he worked he continued, "We have a lot to do today for your party tomorrow. First stop is to get you a haircut." He paused, lightly tickling Tim's tummy, "You think you're going to behave this time?"

Tim let out a small giggle and nodded. Now it was Gibbs' turn to laugh. He knew that mischievous look meant it would either be a really good day or a really bad day. However, he felt more prepared going into it this time and would have plenty of distractions available to make it go as smoothly as possible. After he was freshly diapered and dressed Gibbs took Tim downstairs for breakfast. He'd made oatmeal earlier that morning and stuck a bowl in the microwave to warm, while he poured some milk. Usually Tim was adamant about eating on his own, but this morning he sat quietly, while his daddy fed him breakfast. Once he finished, Gibbs gave him a dose of ibuprofen and sent him off to play, while he packed the diaper bag. He only had a few things left to pack and ran it out to the car before coming back for Timmy. In a matter of minutes they were on the way to the salon.

An hour later they left the hairdresser's with Tim carrying a big red balloon. The little guy had done better than the last time and sat patiently as the woman cut his hair, following Gibbs' explicit instructions not to go too short and leave the curls. As he buckled Tim into his car seat he chuckled lightly and said, "You've got good taste in women, son. Robyn was cute, charming and best of all - a redhead."

Tim's face turned about as red as the balloon he was hugging and he gave his dad a huge grin. The toddler was smitten from the moment they walked in the door and stared at the stylist in the mirror throughout the entire process. Robyn had done a nice job and Gibbs took her card, promising that they'd be back in a couple of months. After offering Tim a snack in hopes of continuing his good mood, Gibbs headed to the grocery store to pick up the food and cake. It took some explanation to convince Tim that his balloon was safer in the car, but soon the Gibbses were on their way into the store.

Once Tim was securely fastened in the seat of the cart Gibbs pulled out his list and began scanning over it. Their first stop was the bakery and it thrilled Tim to see the Thomas the train engine shaped cake. Since this was the toddler's first birthday as a Gibbs, the older man also ordered a smash cake for Tim to go wild. After he'd shown Tim the cake he put it in the cart and was surprised to see a receipt taped to the side. He shook his head as he glanced at it and huffed, "This has to be a mistake; I haven't paid yet." The woman working behind the counter smiled and responded, "I received a call this morning from a Mrs. Iris Klein. She said that she and her husband were upset that they couldn't make it to the grandson's party and wanted to do something special. They paid for both cakes, sir."

"Geez! That's so nice of them. They didn't need to do that."

The woman chuckled, "She said you would say that too. They sound like a great set of grandparents. The world needs more people like them!"

"It sure does. I appreciate your help, however, we've got to keep moving while he's still happy.

"Oh, yes, I won't keep you any longer." She motioned toward Tim, adding, "Can he have a c-o-o-k-i-e. They're free and can keep a cutie like him quiet for a while."

Gibbs nodded, "Yeah that would be great, thanks."

The woman smiled as she grabbed a tissue and pulled out a chocolate chip cookie. Tim's eyes widened as she handed it to him and said, "You be a good boy for your daddy, okay? Have a wonderful birthday too. I hope you enjoy your cake."

"Tank u." Tim replied, taking a bite of the chocolatey goodness.

"That's my boy." Gibbs huffed as he thanked the woman again and continued further into the store. Forty-five minutes later, Gibbs had everything crossed off his list, paid for and headed to the car. After the sugar started to wear off, Tim crashed from his high and was dozing when his dad buckled him into the car seat. Gibbs knew that Tim would be asleep before the car even left the parking lot and he hoped that even though he slept in this morning that he would still take a nice long nap.

Later that evening after cleaning was complete, dinner served and eaten there was a knock on the door. Tim scrambled for the door as fast as his little legs could carry him. As he reached for the handle he felt an arm wrap around his waist and lift him off the ground. He kicked his legs in frustration, stopping when his daddy opened the door and Jack appeared from the darkness.

"Gwapa!" He squealed, reaching out to the older man, wanting to be hugged and kissed.

"Let's give Grandpa a chance to come inside and then you can attack him." Jack chuckled as he wobbled inside and held his arms out, "Don't hog my grandson, Leroy."

"I wouldn't dare." Gibbs huffed, handing his son over to his father. "He's gotten bigger and heavier since you saw him last."

Jack smothered Tim's face with kisses, finally pulling back to look him over, "Oh my. Your daddy is right. You've certainly changed over the past couple of months. I can't believe how grown up you're becoming."

"Don't remind me."

"Leroy get over here and give your old man a hug."

Gibbs smiled, enveloping both his son and father in a hug. They held on to each other until they heard a muffled shriek. Alarmed, Jack took a step back, kissing Tim on the forehead, "Sorry about the kiddo. We didn't mean to squish you." Tim took a deep breath trying to recuperate his air supply.

"You okay, sweetie?" Gibbs asked, rubbing small circles on the toddler's back. Once he received a small nod he took his son into his arms and grabbed Jack's suitcase from the front porch. "Why don't we go into the kitchen and have some dessert."

"Sounds wonderful, Leroy. Any chance I could trouble you for some tea too?"

"Of course Dad. I've given Duck his own drawer to keep his fancy tea. That way he always has options when he's here. Grandpa Ducky has been a great help this week. My team caught a case and instead of Tim having to spend the night at daycare the two of them came home so his routine would stay the same.

"Well, that's awfully nice of him. I wish I lived closer to help out more."

"Don't worry about it, Dad. Tim and I have plenty of family around to help out when it's needed." By this time they were in the kitchen and Gibbs strapped Tim into his high chair, adding, "And I know this may sound surprising, but I've cut back a lot at work. DiNozzo and David are perfectly capable of handling anything that comes in. If the case stalls they'll call and ask for advice."

Jackson groaned as he sat in the chair next to Tim, "Why wouldn't they be? They've been trained by the best." He took a deep breath and continued, "I'm really glad you're enjoying the moments while Tim is young, Leroy. Kids grow up so fast and you don't want to miss anything."

Gibbs spoke as he sliced pieces of angel food cake and topped it with strawberries and fresh whipped cream. "I don't want to make the same mistakes that I did with Kelly. Yes, there were times when I had to be away from my family due to my career, but I also could have put more of an effort into parenting when I was home."

Tim squealed as Gibbs put a plate of dessert and sippy cup of milk down in front of him. Jackson chuckled at his grandson's reaction, "I love how a treat is the best thing in the world to a two-year old."

"Oh, if you think this is great - wait until you see him tomorrow. I ordered a smash cake for him to dig into at his party. I expect cake everywhere!"

Jackson reached over and rubbed Tim's back, "We're going to have so much fun tomorrow, kiddo. I can't wait to see your new swing set. Have you been enjoying it?"

"Yesh." Tim mumbled around a mouth full of food. Gibbs ruffled his son's hair and huffed, "Tony, Ziva and I assembled it last week and Tim loved playing on it. However, this week we haven't had any time to play. That will all change tomorrow though."

They continued eating and chatting truly enjoying each other's company until Tim started yawning. His yawn was contagious and soon there was a pattern that had developed among them. Gibbs cleared the plates from the table and wiped Tim's hands and face. "I think we'll skip your bath tonight, son. We want you smelling all fresh and clean for your party tomorrow."

"If you don't mind I'm going to watch some TV for a while before I go to sleep."

Gibbs shook his head as he lifted Tim out of his high chair, "Knock yourself out. I'll be down to say goodnight once I get him to bed. I'll also take your suitcase into your room." He ran his fingers through Tim's hair and continued, "Give your grandpa a kiss and hug. You'll see him in the morning."

Tim leaned over and wrapped his arms around the older man's neck, squeezing tightly, "Lub u Gwapa."

"Love you too, sweet grandson of mine. Have a good sleep."

The toddler slowly released his grip, using Jack's shoulder to rest his hand as he gave him a slobbery kiss.

"That was very nice, Timmy." Gibbs whispered, pulling the little guy toward him. He patted Jack's arm, adding, "The clicker is on the table in the family room. I'll be down in few minutes."

Jack waited until his two boys were out of sight before staggering to his feet. With his cane in one hand and hot tea in the other he shuffled into the family room and plopped down on the couch. He took a look around at all the pictures that hung on the walls of the previously empty house. It was a lot more inviting than it had been over the years and Jack was thrilled to see his son smiling again. After kicking off his shoes he grabbed the remote from the table and turned on the television. The local news had just started and he could feel his eyes growing heavier by the minute.

Once he finished putting Tim to bed Gibbs came back downstairs and could hear his father softly snoring in the family room. Laughing as he picked up Jack's suitcase he carried it to the guest bedroom. He returned to the family room and gently shook Jack's shoulder, "Dad, you fell asleep! I think you would be more comfortable in bed than on the couch." Jack stirred and slowly opened his eyes, "Wow. I guess I was sleepier than I thought."

Gibbs nodded, lending a hand to support the older man as he stood. "You had a busy day of traveling. I need you well rested for the party tomorrow." Jack cupped Leroy's face in his hands and smiled, "You look great, son. Although you may not feel like it - having a two-year old and all - but you appear much happier than you did at Christmas."

"I am, dad. Tim and I have a routine and have had lots of fun outings as father and son. I can't wait to see what the future holds."

The older man yawned and nodded, "I'm very proud of you, Leroy. Timmy adores you, looks up to you, depends on you. I know he's only two, but I can tell he's already very well- rounded." Gibbs grabbed Jack's cane and handed it to him, steering him toward the guest bedroom. "Thanks Dad. We're working on it. As long as I'm doing my job as a father - teaching him the difference between right and wrong, supporting him in whatever he decides to do and most importantly - loving him no matter what, he'll grow up to become one hell of a man. We can talk more tomorrow, but now I'm ready for bed."

Jack drew Leroy into his arms and kissed him on the side of the head. "Thanks for inviting me, son. Did I mention how happy I am that I'm here?"

Gibbs chuckled, "Once or twice. Sleep tight and I'll see you in the morning."

As father and son separated for the night they couldn't hold back the smiles that threatened to split their faces in half.