Chapter 2

Gibbs was awakened from a peaceful slumber when a soft kick connected with his groin. Groaning, he blearily looked around and cast his gaze on the small toddler thrashing beside him. Before he could scoot over to avoid the onslaught of flaying tiny arms and legs, another swift kick landed in the same delicate region. Gasping as he bit down on his bottom lip he attempted to breathe through the pain. No, no, no he wasn't going to let a swift kick to his sensitive territory wake his baby up. Tim's restlessness and teething were causing more and more sleepless nights for the two of them and while the little guy could sleep during the day it was going to be an adjustment for Gibbs not to be able to nap along with him. He laid his hand on Tim's back and rubbed it gently hoping the contact would soothe the toddler back to sleep. Eventually Tim's breathing evened out as his thumb crept up to his mouth and he let out a small snuffle.

Making a mental note to get the guest room cleaned out and painted so Tim could have his own room, Gibbs climbed out of bed and headed for the shower. Once he collected the toys from Tim's bath the previous night, he turned the water on and waited for it to heat up. Although he enjoyed having Tim around, he wasn't lying when he told Ducky that the past three weeks had been difficult. As he stepped in and allowed the water to soothe his tired body he thought about how things would be different going forward. He'd already spoken with Vance regarding Tim's vacancy and decided he wouldn't be adding another team member. If they needed help with the electronic information on a case, Abby or an agent from Cyber Crimes would help fill the void. The team agreed they would pick up the slack if that meant there would be nobody to replace Tim. After all, he was irreplaceable whether he was a man or a baby.

Running the shampoo through his hair he couldn't help but wonder how Tim was going to do at daycare. They had grown close over the last three weeks and he worried how Tim was going to handle trusting others who weren't members of his team. It was going to be difficult for the both of them and even though he knew this was what was best for Timmy, that didn't make it any easier. Gibbs tried his best to explain to him that he was going to a new place to learn and make friends, but he wasn't sure how much, the toddler understood. He imagined he would feel the same way he did when they dropped Kelly off for her first day of kindergarten. He and Shannon had cried the entire drive home once they had they said their goodbyes. Although he was sure this time he wasn't going to be the only one who was going to have trouble letting go. It was going to be an interesting week.

Quickly finishing in the shower, he wrapped a towel around his waist and peeked out into the bedroom, relived to see Tim was still asleep. He'd gotten up a half hour earlier so he would have plenty of time to feed and dress his little guy. Knowing Tim could wake up at any time he began his morning routine, delighted to smell the fresh coffee emanating from downstairs. After finishing in the bathroom, he slipped on a pair of boxers and was not surprised when he walked into the bedroom and saw Tim sitting up in the middle of the bed.

"Hey, kiddo. Did daddy wake you?"

Tim looked over his shoulder; his eyes half shut, thumb in his mouth, hair a bedraggled mess.

Gibbs sat down on the bed next to him and scooped him up into his lap. Running his fingers through the baby's unkempt hair, he laughed, "You going for a new style? I think this one would make Tony proud."

Grunting, the baby nuzzled closer, while Gibbs rubbed his back allowing him time to wake up. Kissing the top of Tim's head, he spoke softly, "Big day today, buddy. You ready to go meet lots of new friends?"

The toddler whimpered and shook his head confirming Gibbs' suspicions that this was going to be a difficult day for the both of them.

"Shh Timmy, it's going to be okay. Daddy will be in the same building, but he has to work. Wouldn't you rather have fun than watch me work all day?"