Chapter 11

Gibbs smiled as the sweet innocent giggling of his baby boy carried into the kitchen. It was finally the day of Tim's adoption and if all went according to plan, Tim would officially become a Gibbs. He never imagined a month ago when he found Tim regressed, alone and terrified that this would be the outcome. Between Tim's initial regression and kidnapping, Gibbs didn't think the situation could get any worse. That was until he met Maggie McGee and was forced to reveal what happened to grown up Tim. He'd really thought he had lost Tim forever after the toddler was ripped kicking and screaming from his arms. To say he was grateful and relieved she'd finally realized Tim was better off with him was an understatement.

Carrying their lunch back into the living room he stopped and chuckled at the touching sight. Doggy Jethro was sprawled out on the floor and Timmy was using the dog's stomach as a pillow as he watched cartoons. It had been such a stressful week and Gibbs was glad they finally had some time to relax as a family. Continuing further into the room he stopped in front of the duo and looked down at Tim.

"You ready for some lunch, kiddo?"

Tim appeared torn between the cartoons and bottle of milk that sat on the tray Gibbs was holding. His eyes darted between the two before he finally gave an affirmative nod, rolled onto his stomach and crawling followed Gibbs over to the table.

"I knew my boy wouldn't refuse food." Gibbs snickered as he gathered Tim in his arms and deposited him on the couch.

"Ba ba?" Tim asked hopefully as the older man tied a bib around his neck and moved a plate within the toddler's reach.

Taking a bite of his sandwich, Gibbs motioned toward Tim's plate and mumbled, "Eat some cheese and fruit and then I'll give you the bottle."

Tim shook his head as his bottom lip formed a pout and he blinked back tears. Sighing, Gibbs brushed the toddler's hair to one side, "You have to have more than milk, Timmy. You need to eat so you can grow up to be big and strong just like Daddy." Handing the toddler a piece of cheese he bit back a smile when Tim smelled it and slowly stuffed it in his mouth.

"That's my boy!" Gibbs exclaimed, ruffling Tim's curls in praise.

By the time they had a few bites, Jethro discovered the food and was waiting patiently near Tim in case any crumbs happened to fall in his direction. Tim had picked up a piece of cheese and was ready to give it to the dog when Gibbs cleared his throat.

Tim's eyes widened and he slowly turned his head when he realized he'd been caught. Shoulders sagging in defeat he popped the piece of cheese into his own mouth.

"Good job, Timmy. We don't give doggy people food. He has his own food in the kitchen."

Jethro snorted and gave him an indignant look, resting his chin on the couch as they continued to eat. With the smell of fresh coffee wafting from the kitchen, Gibbs rose from his seat and tapped Tim on the cheek, "I'm going to get some coffee, but I'll be right back. No feeding Jethro while I'm gone, okay?"

Continuing to chew the piece of cheese, Tim nodded and watched Gibbs head toward the kitchen. Casually glancing between Jethro's big brown eyes and the kitchen, Tim picked up a piece of cheese and giggled as he dropped it on the floor. What Tim didn't know was that Gibbs was hiding around the corner waiting to see if his son would follow orders and not feed the dog. When he saw Timmy drop the cheese he shook his head and covered his mouth to muffle the laughter. He couldn't possibly be mad at Timmy; he had a big heart, felt the dog was hungry and was helping out a friend. Besides, the little fella was only a year old and had a lifetime of learning to do. Gibbs was however curious to see if Tim would answer honestly if the question was posed to him. Pouring a cup of coffee he walked back to the living room to finish lunch. They enjoyed the rest of their food, Tim occasionally glancing at his daddy with a guilty look on his face. It took all of Gibbs willpower to appear oblivious to the fact his son was fighting his conscience. Once Timmy had swallowed the last piece of fruit he crawled over to Gibbs and laid his head in the older man's lap.