Chapter 24

Humming happily as he ironed the last corner of the tablecloth, Gibbs glanced over at Timmy who was enthralled with Frosty the Snowman currently playing on television. Turning his attention back toward the glimmering red tablecloth he inspected it for any other wrinkles, touched up a few areas then carefully carried it over to the dining room table. Spreading it out he meticulously measured top to bottom and side-to-side. It was important that everything was perfect. Not only for Tim's sake, but also his own. This celebration was one of new beginnings, traditions and most importantly family. Finally satisfied with the tablecloth he collected the new placemats he'd bought and strategically placed them around the table. He was expecting six guests tonight, eight people in total and allowed plenty of space for everyone to sit comfortably. The Palmers were invited, but after some advice from Ducky they decided to visit Jimmy's mother out of state. Sarah, who hadn't been around Tim since the adoption papers were signed, happily agreed to Gibbs' invitation for Christmas Eve, but was flying out to visit Maggie in Texas the next day. When he'd read Sarah's email he made a mental note to ask how Maggie was doing in regards to her drinking. He really hoped her slip up in the basement along with the stress of Tim's regression hadn't caused her to fall further off the wagon. As much as he hated to admit it, Maggie was Tim's biological mother and it was important that she be clean and sober if she wanted to get to know her little boy.

Gibbs couldn't help but laugh as the sound of giggles echoed through the downstairs. After they'd returned home from the mall that morning Tim was given a timeout for his behavior, eventually falling asleep in Gibbs' arms after a much needed cuddle session. He was glad that Timmy appeared in a much better mood than he'd been in earlier and knew he would have good and bad days. In his mind, the good far outweighed the bad and they'd both have to learn to deal with days like today. He also had a sneaking suspicion that Timmy was cutting another tooth that was likely contributing to his orneriness.

Glancing at his watch he was relieved to see that he still had plenty of time to set the table. He was thankful that his mom had taught him when he was younger and in less than ten minutes he stood back to look at his work. "Looking good," he mumbled, reaching over to straighten one of the wine glasses. Now for the finishing touches. With Jackson's surprise visit Gibbs hadn't had the opportunity to tell the others about Timmy's encounter with Santa. Nevertheless, the pictures spoke louder than words and he decided to leave one at each place setting. Grabbing them off the credenza he chuckled as he flipped through the different photos. There wasn't a single shot that Tim didn't appear terrified and he knew the others would get a hearty laugh out of his reaction. Placing a picture at every setting he clucked his tongue and glanced over the table one last time. That's about as good as it's going to get. Time to check on the prime rib.

Walking into the kitchen he grabbed the oven mitts off the counter and flipped on the oven light. Salivating as he opened the oven door and pulled out the rack he basted each end of the roast with the drippings and shoved it back inside. Satisfied it was cooking properly he walked into the family room just as Frosty was ending.

"Hey kiddo it's time to go upstairs and get cleaned up. The others will be here soon."

Tim shook his head, pointing at the television screen. "Mor mor dada!"

Gibbs sighed; "Sorry not right now. Daddy has to get both of us dressed before our guests start arriving." The toddler's shoulders slumped in defeat as Gibbs bent down to pick him up off the floor. "C'mon kiddo, don't be sad, we have a lot of fun things planned for tonight." Tim squealed when Gibbs lightly tickled his belly as they climbed the stairs to the bedroom. The older man decided he would dress first and turned into his bedroom. Plopping the youngster down on the bed he flipped on the television, allowing Tim to watch while he got ready. Everyone had gotten such a thrill out of father and son's matching outfits at the Admiral's funeral he decided to do it again. Removing a pair of black slacks off the hanger he stripped down and put them on. Next came a red dress shirt and black and red striped tie. As he slipped on his black boots he noticed Tim watching him intently and mumbled, "You're next, kiddo." The little guy nodded, laying back against the fluffy pillows as Gibbs went into the bathroom to freshen up. Once he emerged from the bathroom he fixed his tie and said, "How do I look?"