Chapter 6

Ducky led the team down to the cafeteria and after purchasing hot beverages for everyone he found a table tucked away in a corner that would provide them some much-needed privacy. The older man opened his mouth to speak but stopped short when Abby began babbling about Gibbs and Tim and how she hoped they would be okay. Leaning back in the chair, Ducky removed his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose. After all that had happened he didn't have the strength or patience to deal with Abby. All of their attention, especially his, needed to be focused on Gibbs and getting him through this tough time. While she continued rambling he reached across the table, grabbed one of her flailing arms and waited for her to calm down.

"Abigail, I understand you're concerned about Jethro and Timothy. However, I'm going to need you to calm down my dear. He paused, addressing the entire team, "I understand it's a sad time for all of us, with Timothy leaving and Jethro getting injured, but we must push those emotions aside for the time being. Our main goal is helping Jethro cope with the fact Timothy is no longer with us."

Everyone was quiet as the reality sank in that their leader and surrogate father was going to need their help rather than the other way around. Unable to stand the silence any longer and wanting answers, Ziva spoke up, "What is Gibbs' condition, Ducky? Is he going to be all right?"

Taking a sip of tea, Ducky sighed, "Physically I believe he'll make a full recovery it's more of the ..." He trailed off, shuddering at the possibility of Gibbs unable to overcome losing Tim.

Tony swallowed past the sudden lump in his throat. He knew exactly what Ducky was referring to and chills ran down his spine as he let his mind wander. Gibbs had a long road ahead of him and the fact the man was as stubborn as a mule wasn't going to help the situation. He would discuss his concerns privately with Ducky although he was certain everyone else shared them as well. Realizing the older man had begun talking again he shook his head as if to clear it and continued listening.

"When I left the doctor was ordering a series of X-Rays and a CT Scan to check for any fractures or possible bleeding in Jethro's brain from when he hit his head. He'll need sutures to close the wound, but the morphine they gave him was keeping him comfortable."

"What do we do now?"

"As hard as it is to do, we wait, Anthony." Rising from his chair, Ducky continued; "I'm going to call Director Vance and let him know what happened. If you would like there's a waiting room across from the emergency department that we can gather in until the doctor gives us an update."

Nodding, the team followed their leader back down the maze of hallways until they reached the small empty waiting room. Piling in, everyone took a seat except for Tony who guided Ducky further down the hallway away from the rest of the team.

Taking a deep breath and running his fingers through his hair, Tony asked, "How bad is it, Ducky?"

Squeezing Tony's arm in reassurance, he chuckled, "Anthony, I assure you Jethro will likely be sore for a few days, but barring any massive brain injuries he'll make a full recovery. Based on how he was communicating it's highly unlikely that's the case."

"That's not what I'm referring to and you know it. I heard what Gibbs said while he was lying on the ground. Leave me alone and let me die. I'm afraid he'll do something drastic and then we will have lost both him and Timmy." He paused, trying to rein in his emotions before continuing, "Is it possible to die of a broken heart?"

"Very possible my boy. In the medical field it's known as 'Broken Heart Syndrome' or acute heart failure triggered by stress. I understand your concern and will do everything in my power to get our friend through this. Of course I won't be the only person helping him, we are all lucky to have such a strong family."