Chapter 21

A/N Sorry for the delay, but real life has been crazy lately. However, that doesn't mean that I'm still not committed to this story. Thanks for all your patience and Enjoy!

Ducky had momentarily dozed off on the couch, awakening when he heard the basement door creak open. Moments later both Gibbses were standing in the entryway between the kitchen and family room. Ducky took a moment to study his friend, frowning at the exhaustion that was evident on his face. He could only remember a few times when he'd ever seen the younger man like he was now and that had been when someone died. Jack, on the other hand looked as though a weight had been lifted off his shoulders and appeared to be in a much better state than when he arrived.

"Everything okay, gentlemen?"

"We're working on it, Duck." Gibbs paused, glanced over at his dad and then back to Ducky, "I know you're still recovering, but do you mind if Jack stays with you for the rest of his visit? If not I can ask one of the kids."

"Nonsense," Ducky scoffed, as he slowly stood up and stretched. "Of course he can stay with me. I have an extra guest room that hasn't been used since I moved in years ago. Besides, it will be nice having someone that's more my age around to talk to. Jack nodded and smiled in relief. Although he loved hanging out with all the 'kids' he felt more comfortable staying with Ducky. Slumping down in the chair, Gibbs ran his hand over his face as the adrenaline high he'd been on came crashing down and he was left to deal with the raw pain of losing a loved one. Not to mention the fact that he needed time to process the emotions he'd been left with after the conversation with his father.

"Jethro, are you going to be alright alone?" Ducky asked, a hint of concern in his voice as he once again examined the younger man's face.

Gibbs, who had been staring intently at the fire, looked up to connect with Ducky, "I won't be alone, Duck; I have Tim to keep me company and to be honest he's the only one I want right now."

Ducky nodded and clasped Gibbs' shoulder, "Perhaps it's time to collect the rest of the children and give you some time alone. Would you prefer to call them down here or would you like me to do it?"

Before Gibbs could respond Jack interrupted, "I'm not allowed to see Timothy right now. After what happened in Stillwater and the way I acted, I don't think I would want to see me either." Squeezing Gibbs' shoulder he continued, "Go spend time with your son. We can let ourselves out."

"I agree, Jethro. We are more than capable of getting out the door by ourselves. I'll have Anthony carry Jack's luggage out to Abigail's car and we'll manage to get it out of the trunk when we arrive at my place."

"No heavy lifting for you, Duck." Gibbs reminded him as he stood up and pulled him in for a hug. "Don't worry my dear boy, I certainly learned my lesson a few days ago when I tried lifting something heavy." Patting his old friend on the back Gibbs whispered in his ear, "I give you permission to discuss what happened downstairs with Jack. He needs someone to talk to and I think you would be the perfect person."

Jack couldn't help but smile as he watched the interaction between Leroy and Ducky. He'd known for a long time that the older man had been a positive influence and father figure in his son's life, but it wasn't until recently that he realized how close the two had become. After butting heads with his own father, Jack knew how important it was for Leroy to have someone else to look up to and he was thrilled that man was Ducky.

Smiling slightly, Ducky gently patted the younger man's face, "You always know where to find me if you need to talk. It's not healthy to keep all your emotions bottled up especially now that you have Timothy."

Gibbs huffed, "Taking it one step at a time, Duck. I do appreciate the offer and it is nice to know you're only a phone call away." Taking a few steps toward his dad he hesitated until Jack pulled him in for a hug, "Thanks again, son. Try and get some sleep and we'll talk tomorrow...hmm?"