Chapter 13

Tightening his grip on the steering wheel, Gibbs' knuckles whitened as he navigated through the streets of his hometown. He was angry, disappointed but above all, outraged at his father's reaction. Even at the height of their disagreements, Gibbs had never heard Jack spew such venomous comments. As he drove, the malicious remarks repeated over and over again in his mind. How do you expect to raise a child at your age, Leroy? I choose not to accept it at this time! Try to be around more for this kid!"

The adrenaline coursed through his veins and he floored the gas rounding a sharp curve on the two-lane road. The car fishtailed after hitting a patch of ice and he barely avoided colliding with an oncoming pickup truck. Laughing maniacally, his face suddenly crumpled when he looked in the rear view mirror and saw a terrified Timmy staring back at him. The little guy was trembling and tears were rolling down his chubby, red cheeks. Sighing, Gibbs ran his hand down over his face and found a safe place to pull over on the side of the road. Putting the car in park, he slumped back against the seat and sat quietly for a moment. Damn, Jethro, pull it together! Geez, I could have killed both of us if that truck was an inch closer! Timmy doesn't understand what's happening and my number one concern should be comforting my little boy.

He shivered and choked back tears as the severity and possible consequences of his actions sank in. Timmy relied on him to keep him safe and his emotions were impairing his judgment. Gibbs' hand shook as he reached for the door handle and slowly pushed it open. Checking for cars he pushed the door the rest of the way open and climbed out. Walking around to the back he climbed into the passenger's side and closed the door. Timmy's tears had turned to intermittent sniffles and he leaned forward, burying his face against Hero when Gibbs slid closer to the car seat. The older man's heart ached when he laid his hand on Tim's neck and felt the toddler flinch.

Speaking softly he gave his neck a gentle squeeze, "Sweetie, I'm so sorry." He paused, hoping for a response from his little boy. Timmy sighed deeply, but kept his head buried against the stuffed dog.

"I didn't mean to scare you my boy. I love you and you're the only person whose opinion matters to me right now. I know it might take you time to forgive me, but I'll wait." He paused and took a deep breath before adding, "You mean the world to me kiddo and I would do anything to keep you safe."

Gibbs rubbed his thumb over Tim's tiny hand and was relieved when the youngster turned his hand to clutch the callused digit. Slowly Tim leaned back in the car seat, slid Hero down from his face and clutched him against his chest. Sighing, Gibbs cupped Tim's tear stained cheek and lightly brushed his thumb across it. "Aww Timmy." The older man's voice cracked and he blinked back tears as he continued, "Daddy shouldn't have done what he did. I was angry with Jack and I wasn't thinking about you."

Tim's eyes widened as a tear slid down Gibbs' cheek and he tenderly reached up to dab it off. "Kay Dada?"

Gibbs nodded and pressed a kiss to Tim's forehead. His son's empathy toward others at such a young age was mind blowing and he made a mental note to continuing instilling that in him. "Daddy is going to be just fine, kiddo." Gibbs drew in a deep breath and soothingly stroked Tim's chubby thigh, "Are you okay? You should have never heard that argument and I apologize that Jack scared you. I won't let it happen again."

"Cwazy!" Tim mumbled and hugged Hero tighter to his chest.

Chuckling, Gibbs responded, "It was crazy! I have an idea to take our minds off it though." He knew the road they were on would eventually lead them to Fishing Creek, a tributary of the Susquehanna River where he'd spent a great deal of time fishing when he was a child. It was the perfect, peaceful location needed to clear their heads and spend some alone time together. Pressing one last kiss to Tim's temple he patted the toddler's knee and said, "Ready to go on an adventure?" Tim looked at him thoughtfully and grinned.