Chapter 16

Gibbs was relieved when he turned into the parking lot at Bethesda and found a spot to park. The drive home had taken them longer than he expected due to the fresh dusting of snow and every extra passing minute made his blood pressure rise. During the drive he'd been in touch with Vance and was reassured that Ducky had made it through surgery with minimal complications. However, he needed to see the older man with his own eyes before he truly believed that everything was going to be all right.

"Gwapa Duck?" Timmy mumbled around the thumb in his mouth and pointed toward the hospital.

"Yeah, Grandpa Ducky is inside that building, son." Gibbs sighed as he unbuckled his seat belt and turned around to face the toddler. "Remember how I told you that Grandpa got a boo-boo?"

Tim's brow furrowed and he nodded. Gibbs reached back and gently stroked the youngster's knee, "We're going to go into the hospital and see how he's doing. Tony, Ziva and the rest of the team are in there waiting for us, but you have to be very quiet. Can you be a big boy for Daddy?"

"Kay." Tim whispered and squirmed in his seat. Gibbs figured he was in need of a diaper change, but decided to wait until they were inside and had the latest information on Ducky's condition. Tony had texted him the room number, informing him that Ducky was in intensive care and that only two people were allowed in the room at a time. The younger man also mentioned the team had taken over one of the waiting rooms and because of his bronchitis the staff wouldn't let him visit with Ducky. Grabbing his phone from the console as well as an extra bottle out of the cooler, Gibbs climbed out of the car and shivered as a gust of wind smacked him in the face. Opening the passenger's side door he stuffed the bottle inside the diaper bag and slung it over his shoulder before unbuckling Tim from his car seat.

"Remember we have to be very quiet, Timmy." He reminded the toddler as he zipped his coat and put on his hat. Gathering the little guy in his arms he lifted him out of the car seat and hugged him tightly against his chest. Closing and locking the door he trudged through the snowy parking lot and in to the bustling hospital. Following the signs to the elevator, they walked down a long hallway and packed emergency room until reaching their destination. Tim's eyes lit up when he saw the buttons and he immediately reached out to press both the up and down buttons before Gibbs could stop him. The older man stepped back as Tim emitted a small giggle and reached for the buttons once more. "No, Timmy, the elevator is on its way. You did a good job, kiddo."

Finally the elevator doors opened and Tim was delighted when his daddy showed him which button to push. Gibbs' stomach was in knots as the elevator ascended to the sixth floor and the doors slid open. Taking a deep breath he stepped off and followed the signs down another long hallway to a small waiting room. Tony, Ziva and Abby were deep in conversation and it wasn't until Gibbs cleared his throat that the trio realized they'd arrived. Abby leapt out of her chair and wrapped the two Gibbses in a bear hug.

"I'm so glad you two are finally here!" She strengthened her grip around them and continued rambling, "Poor Ducky! All he was trying to do was help that poor girl and now he's fighting for his life. You have to find out who did this Gibbs!" Tim shrieked loudly and struggled to breathe as he was squished between Gibbs and Abby.

When Abby ignored Tim's cries, Ziva grabbed hold of her shoulders and pried her off, "Do you not hear Timmy crying? You are smothering him, Abby!"

"Abs, let's give the kid some air, huh?" Gibbs huffed, taking a step back to allow Timmy some breathing room.

Abby bowed her head when she saw Tim struggling to breathe, "I'm sorry, Timmy. I was so relieved that you two were finally here and I wasn't thinking..."

"That's right, you weren't thinking!" Gibbs snapped as he brushed the hair off Tim's forehead. "We'll talk about this later."

Once he was certain that Tim was okay, Gibbs glanced over at Tony and did a double take when he saw the mask the younger man was wearing. His mind suddenly flashed back to Norfolk where he first met Tim over ten years ago. At the time, Tim was following protocol and wearing a mask as he worked a crime scene. He cringed as he remembered making fun of him and calling him Michael Jackson. Shaking his head as if to clear it, he hugged the toddler closer to his chest and spoke, "Any new information?"