Chapter 2: Windows to the Soul

That morning in the office Larry signed for two visitor’s badges, one for him and one for Laurent, then weaved his way back through the crowd of students in the hallway to find his brother.

The little red-headed girl was walking beside him chatting his ear off.  Something about taking pictures.  He nodded politely pretending to listen, but his mind was really still on her friend.  The rude one he ran into at the studio last night.

He hadn’t meant to scare her.  He’d only stopped by the building to test out the sound system for his class the next day, but on his way out he heard music coming from one of the studios and went to investigate.

That’s when he saw her dancing.  She was so completely lost in the music she didn’t even notice him walking into the room.  He stood there watching her, intrigued. 

It had been a while since he’d seen someone move with such intensity and passion. He always tried to teach his students how to do that—how to feel the music and put their all into the choreography.  But she clearly had a natural talent.

Then the music stopped and, right before she almost bit his head off for eavesdropping, she opened her eyes and he saw the fiery, far-away expression in them.  They held a special kind of yearning, a craving, a raw desire for…something more.  Much more.  It was like he was seeing into her soul.

All his life he’d seen that same hungry look staring back from his own reflection in the mirror and from his twin’s face, too. 

And now he couldn’t seem to get those eyes, her eyes, out of his head.

“So I can come back tomorrow after your last class. Will that work?” Stacey’s question cut across Larry’s thoughts. 

He focused on her upturned face realizing she was waiting for an answer from him.

“Uh, okii, sure.” He said it although in all honesty he didn’t know exactly what he was agreeing to.

“Great! I’ll see you then.”  Stacey was just about to race off when Laurent burst into the conversation from out of nowhere.

“No, sorry, we can’t take pictures. We have contract.” 

Her face fell and Larry rolled his eyes in exasperation.  “Yes, we can, Lau. She take pictures after class not while we teaching.”

Laurent’s nose and cheekbones boasted the exact same delicately sharp contours as his twin’s, but his hair was a lighter brown circling his head in a wild, loose afro and he wore what appeared to be a long black skirt over his jeans. 

Unlike Larry, his eyes twinkled mischievously and he held his lithe body like an animal always poised to jump, eager to start something. They were the same, but different.

Stacey hovered between them hoping for an explanation.

Larry touched her arm reassuringly. “Don’t listen to my crazy brother. Everything’s cool. We see you tomorrow.”

* * * *

After three back-to-back workshops the next day Larry was drained. He pulled his shirt up and wiped his sweaty face with the bottom of it on his way to the locker rooms revealing a six-pack of rock hard abs.

"I’m gonna take a shower."

"Me too, bro." Laurent trailed behind him equally spent. In the bathroom he reached for a fresh towel, the same one Larry happened to be trying to grab.

"Hey, that's my towel!" Larry latched stubbornly on to one side.

"No, it's mine!"

"Give it to me, Lau. I'm not playing with you!" Larry felt a strong surge of irritation. After their New Year’s Eve performance with Beyonce’ he had wanted to fly home to Paris for a break, but his brother begged him to stay in Vegas.