04 | The Birthday Girl

Chapter Four

"I love you sweetie," was the last thing my mother ever said to me.

And I never said it back.

As a human, I carry emotions. Sometimes my emotions get the best of me. For example; when I was four years old, my mom wouldn't buy me a lollipop at our local candy store. Being the over-dramatic child I was, I ignored her for the rest of the day.

Ignoring my mom didn't seem like much at the time, since I knew she would be there when I woke up the next day.

However, there was no guarantee that she would be there when I woke up. But I was four years old, and completely unaware of that.

Another example is the night of my sixth birthday. After I opened my presents, my mother got a 'business call'.

"Yeah. Okay, I'll be there shortly." my mom spoke into her phone.

I walked up to her and my Aunt,

"Hey sweetie. Mommy has to go to somewhere, but she'll be back soon." My Aunt said, kneeling down to my level.

"Why?" I asked, peeking into my mother's room, watching her throw clothes into a suitcase.

"That's a secret," she smiled, tapping my nose.

I didn't smile back at her.

"Don't worry, she'll be back before you know it." she assured.

I looked down, and my mother walked up to me. She knelt down in front of me,

"I love you Elizabeth." my mother softly spoke, holding my face in her hands.

I didn't say anything back.

The horn of a car beeped, and she turned towards the door.

"It's okay Elizabeth, someday this will all make sense. Aunt Carol will take good care of you while I'm gone." she smiled, looking at her sister.

"I love you sweetie," was the last thing she said before racing out the door with her suitcase.

To this day I still don't know where she was going, but I do have assumptions.

I used to think that she was going to find my Dad, since he ran out on us when I was two.

But after I found out about the supernatural, I began to think that she was involved in it. Somehow, my mother knew about the supernatural.

I never told you what happened to her though. As you could suspect, she never came back. She actually died that night. The death was announced as a 'car accident' but I don't believe that. I never have.

I always think about what she said. "Someday this will all make sense," but I still don't know what that means.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you-" Aunt Carol began singing as she walked into my room with a cupcake.

"No." I groaned, shoving the pillow over my ears.

"Oh come on Liz, just one verse." she pleaded,

"No."

"Wha-" she started,

"No."

"Bu-" she tried,

"No."

"You don't even know what I was going to say," she scolded,