12 | Awkward Conversations

Chapter Twelve

After I kissed Liam, I raced out of the hospital as quickly as I could.

I had no idea what to do. I had never kissed anyone before.

Did he even like the kiss? Did he want to kiss me? Does he like me? He probably thinks I'm a psycho.

As I quietly opened the front door of my house, I tiptoed over to the stairs.

"Hello, Elizabeth." Aunt Carol announced, sitting on the couch with her legs crossed.

I froze, squeezing my eyes shut.

"Turn." she demanded, as I rotated my body to face her. "Walk." she added, as I opened my eyes and made my way over to her from the stairs.

"Where were you?" Aunt Carol questioned.

"Out?" I offered, mentally slapping myself for not coming up with a good lie.

"Where. Were. You." she slowly repeated,

"With Malia." I blurted, mentally slapping myself a second time.

I could have just told her that I was with Scott and Stiles.

"Oh." she sighed, "Well, what were you doing?"

My eyes scanned the living room, landing on an old family photo from ages ago. "Helping her." I assured, as Aunt Carol narrowed her eyes. "You see, she recently found out that she's adopted, and her biological father happens to be someone that all of our friends hate."

"That poor girl.." Aunt Carol got up from her spot on the couch, growing genuinely concerned. "How's she taking it?"

"Oh- um, she's fine." I reassured, mentally slapping myself a third time.

If you find out that you're adopted, and that you've been lied to, you aren't fine.

"Well, she isn't fine. But if I wasn't there for her, she'd probably be spiraling out of control.." I lied.

"You're such a good friend." Aunt Carol gently placed her hands on my shoulders, as I shot her a fake smile.

"Yep. That's me, always..doing the right thing. Not lying, at all.." I affirmed, swatting her hands off of my shoulders as I faked a yawn. "Well, I think it's time I go to bed. I'll see you in the morning."

Aunt Carol kissed my forehead before I ran upstairs.

She totally didn't buy that.

I closed my door, falling onto my bed with sprawled arms.

Life was way simpler before I knew about this stuff. I never lied to my Aunt, or to anyone at all for that matter.

I sighed, kicking off my shoes, nuzzling under my blankets, as I turned off my lamp.

I didn't bother getting changed, as I lay under my blankets, looking up at the ceiling of my room.

Just as I started to close my eyes, my phone buzzed from my side-table.

I groaned, picking it up as the screen blinded my eyes.

12 unread text messages from Liam.

3 missed calls from Stiles.

Stiles was probably wondering where I ran off to, so I sent him a text reassuring him that I made it home safely. Liam on the other hand, was probably texting me to let me know that I'm insane.