16 | Monsters From The Past

Chapter Sixteen

A creepy man opens the body-bag, revealing a young girl whimpering with duct tape over her mouth and hands.

"It's Kalissa, right?"

The girl nods, before her eyes find the butcher-knives that are hanging on a rack next to the man.

"I guess you're coming to a certain conclusion. You're not going to be leaving here." the man chuckles, as the girl begins to sob.

"It's okay that you're scared. See, contrary to traditional culinary practices, it actually tastes better for someone like me when the kill's been frightened."

The man growls in her face as fangs protrude from every tooth.

The girl's eyes immediately shut in fear as she continues crying with the duct tape over her mouth.

"Look at me, Kalissa." he shouts, "Open your eyes!"

I suddenly wake up from my nightmare, breathing heavily.

My eyes remain wide as I look around, seeing that I fell asleep on the couch with the TV on.

A bolt of lightening and the sound of thunder causes me to jump, shaking my thoughts.

I use my hand to feel around the couch, searching for my phone.

I find it between a couch cushion, and immediately go to scroll through the contacts. I click on the one I want, and it rings.

"Liam?" I breathe,

"Uh- yeah. Liz, what's up? It's like, midnight..." his voice responds, not as weary as mine.

"I know...I know." I regain my breath.

I hear a sound coming through the phone.

"Are you with Mason?" my eyebrows furrow,

"Uhm, yeah. We're playing some shooting game.." he mutters.

"Sure you are..." I lightly laugh.

"Wait- why are you calling me this late, again?" Liam asked,

"Oh- I uh...had another supernatural nightmare, sort of thing.." I whisper through the phone.

"Are you okay?" he hesitantly asks.

"Yeah. I'm fine, I just- I was gonna come over...but I now realize that seems really stupid.." I admit.

"If you want to, you can." he offers.

"No, it's fine...I just needed to hear your voice." I quickly speak before my eyes widen.

"I didn't mean hear your voice, I- just you know, meant that-" I stutter, realizing my mistake.

"I get it." he laughs,

"Somebody's got a crush.." Mason's voice pipes up, in a singsong tone.

I hear a quick slap, causing me to narrow my eyes, before Liam speaks up again.

"Liz, I'll talk to you tomorrow, okay? Well, technically today..later today-" he stammers.

"I get it." I laugh, mocking him. "I'll talk to you later..."

"Alright..uh, bye." he awkwardly speaks.

"Bye.." I add, before hanging up.

I clench my phone in my hand, before placing it on the coffee table.