Chapter 1. Emma

Chapter 1. Emma

As the clouds parted in the freshly drawn sky, the morning sun shone down onto the streets of Storybrooke. Birds of many shapes and sizes, flapped their wings in time with the wind as they set off on new adventures. The time was a little after 7am and Emma was already bundled into her usual seat at Granny's Diner; clutching onto a cup of hot cocoa. The tired blonde stifled a yawn as she delicately shook a few flecks of cinnamon into the dark frothy goodness in the small fat mug. The steam rising from the mug wavered around her nostrils as she breathed in its chocolatey aroma. "Penny for them" a familiar voice sounded from beside her. "What?" Emma asked lifting her gaze to the tall friendly man peering down at her, "Dad, Hi, what are you doing here?" she asked with a deadpan expression on her face. "Your thoughts, A penny for them?" David continued, prompting an answer from his daughter. "Oh it's nothing, I- I just didn't sleep very well last night". David sighed, "You and me both, Neal cried most of the night, I'm surprised you didn't hear him" he began, pulling out the chair opposite Emma and perching on it. "How is he, Neal?" Emma asked dragging her eyes onto her father's once more. "Well, other than a few teething pains, fine, he has lungs like his big sister" David joked thinking back to the very moment Emma was born, kicking and screaming as she entered the world. He discarded the rest of the memory as it led on to the magical wardrobe. Just then Ruby appeared beside them both with a cup of coffee to go and a brown paper bag that smelled like doughnuts. "Here you go Charming, without sugar this time" Ruby grinned as David's eyes lightened up whilst he smiled. "Thank you Red" He said with little excitement in his voice. "No sugar?" Emma asked as if something was wrong with her father. "Your mother has decided that we eat too much sugar, so i'm not allowed to have any in my coffee anymore" he chuckled. "No sugar in your coffee but you can eat doughnuts?" Emma asked suspiciously, "Well, she doesn't know about the doughnuts, there's two in here" he pointed to the brown bag, "One for me and one for you, if you want it" he added. "Maybe later" Emma breathed. David reached out across the table and took his daughter's hand. "Are you ok Emma?" he asked with concern in his voice. "Yes dad, I'm fine, honest" she began, "Can you- can you open up this morning there's something I have to do" she suddenly blurted out, "Of course Emma" David agreed taking the keys to the Sheriff's station from his daughter and sliding the key ring down his finger. "Thanks" Emma mumbled, she then took a swig of cocoa before abandoning it along with her father.
A brisk cold air swooped by as Emma set off across the road. "Good Morning" Archie called out as his path met Emma's. "Hey Archie, Hi Pongo" she nodded, not stopping to chat. The town was mostly quiet, the odd car drove past and a few people were out walking their dogs, just like Archie, but other than that it was peaceful, something Emma was glad of at this time. She hadn't lied to her father, she really had been awake most of the night but not really because of the tossing and turning that she'd let David think. For days now she didn't know what was wrong with her. She really cared for Hook, being with him had once made her feel happy and content but lately something just wasn't right. The chemistry between them had boiled over, at least that is how she felt, Hook was probably none the wiser. He still held her the way he always had, still called her 'love' and kissed her forehead the same way he had right from the beginning. She didn't know why she felt this way, it had just creeped up on her. Her heart longed for another, she just couldn't work out who. A vibrating sensation formed against her thigh, which meant her phone was ringing in her jeans pocket. As she slid the white iphone out into the open; Mary Margaret's face smiled up at her. "Mom, sup?" She asked faking a cheery voice. "Emma you didn't stay for breakfast" Mary Margaret blurted out from the other side of the phone. "Yeah I went for a walk, ended up at Granny's" before she could let her mom dig for information she spoke again, "How come you won't let dad have sugar?" she asked not necessarily listening to the answer. As Mary Margaret chattered on about sugar levels and health risks, Emma continued concentrating on getting to her destination. "Mom I gotta go, I'll call you later" she interrupted. As she hung up, her homescreen glimmered in the dull sunlight, a picture of her and Henry taken on his birthday last year showed for a moment before the screen faded to black. Emma sighed and shoved the phone back into her pocket, marching onwards. The smell of the sea appeared as she grew closer to the docks. The waves rippled against the boats on the harbour, seagulls cried from over head. As usual Hook was fussing with something on his boat. "Swan" He called as his girlfriend climbed aboard. "I thought you'd be here, on the boat" Emma said. Hook dropped his grip on the rope he was tying. "Ship, love, she's a ship, not a boat" he corrected her before leaning in to give her a kiss. Emma pulled away before his lips could touch hers. "Killian, we need to talk" she uttered. "What's the matter love?" He asked confused. Whenever Emma called him 'Killian' he knew there was something wrong. "Look if it's about the toilet seat again, I'm sor-" Emma cut him off. "It's not about the toilet seat, it's about- us" she mumbled taking another step back. Hook looked confused, he sucked his teeth and sighed, "What about us love?" he asked. "I think we should take a break for a while" there was a slight pause and the tension built up in the silence. "What? Why? I thought we were good" Hook asked raising his hand to his chin, running his fingers over his stubble. "We are, well, we will be, It's just. Killian please don't-" Emma stuttered, "I just need some time to think ok, will you allow me that?", "Aye, if that's what you want love" he sounded hurt and it killed Emma to hear the waver of emotion in his voice, but right now she needed to get away from him. Emma nodded, "thanks", and then she turned and stepped off the ship. As she receded away Hook called after her, "Swan!" but she ignored him and turned quickly around the corner. A single tear fell from her eye and she aggressively pushed it away with the help of her sleeve. Once again her phone began to ring, only this time it was Regina. She stared down at the phone as it continued to ring, just as she thought about declining the call her subconscious took control. "Regina" she muttered into the speaker. "Ms Swan you were supposed to pick Henry up at 8am, it is now 8:17am and he is late" Regina scolded. "Sorry I had business to take care of, i'll be there as quick as I can" Emma apologised. "Too late, Henry's already left" Regina responded. "I'm sorry Regina, to be honest I forgot all about it", "Oh never mind, it's already happened now" Regina muttered in annoyance "But I still want you to come over here, there's something I want to discuss with you and that conversation is not one i'd like to have over the phone, and hurry up too" "Ok, I'm on my way" Emma reassured her before ending the call and ditching the footpath for her trusted yellow bug.
Within a few minutes Emma arrived at Regina's home and parked just outside. As Emma stepped out of the car she noticed Regina standing on the porch with her hands on her hips. "What?" She shouted across the garden as she slammed the car door. "Nothing, I just hate that car, why does it have to be so yellow?", "What's wrong with yellow?" Emma asked striding closer to her son's other mom. "Nothing, other than it being all up in my face, why didn't you get a normal car?". Emma rolled her eyes, "Regina you didn't call me all the way out here just to insult my car did you, and besides you've already done so in the past?", "No I didn't, come inside" she announced stepping aside to let Emma squeeze past.
She had never been jealous of Regina's home, it was a lot bigger than anywhere she had ever lived, bigger than David and Mary Margaret's, and much bigger than her apartment back in Boston but, Regina's house didn't feel like a home. Emma compared the difference in sound as her boots thudded the marble floor in comparison to the light clacking of Regina's designer heels. It made her think about just how different they were. "Apple cider?" Regina asked. "It's eight thirty" Emma acknowledged. "Right, of course, come through" she muttered kicking off her heels and entering the lounge. She smoothed out her grey skirt as she sat on the sofa. Emma took a seat opposite, a glass coffee table stood between them. She eyed the bowl of red apples placed on the surface. "Still with the apples?" Emma asked. Regina ignored her comment and decided to stand up. Emma noticed that beneath her skin coloured tights, Regina's toenails were painted pink, not a colour she expected to see upon the former 'Evil' Queen. "Emma as you know trouble has a way of finding us here at Storybrooke, it's never too long before some villainous creature or whatever tries to take over my town, and as Mayor I want something done, some more protection for myself, Henry and the people residing here", "What are you talking about Regina? What do you suppose I do? I'm already doing all I can to help keep everyone safe" Emma asked uncertain of Regina's point. "I know that, You think I'd still let you be Sheriff if I didn't think you were doing your best?". Emma glanced away from Regina. "Sorry" Regina sounded before sitting back down on the sofa. "I'm just tired of fighting all the time". An awkward silence filled the room before she spoke again. "I know i've done bad things, terrible things, in my past, I was a bitch, I was evil, but I've changed, all I want now is a peaceful life with our son". 'Our Son' Emma re-played Regina's words in her mind. They'd come a long way since they had first met. "Regina, Henry is fine, he's happier than he's ever been, happier than I've ever seen him" she said, "I know, I just, I don't want anything bad to happen to him because of me, because of my past" a flicker of emotion appeared in Regina's voice. "Nothing bad is going to happen to Henry, We will protect him, both of us. Now stop worrying everything is going to be alright". "But what if it isn't Emma?" Regina asked her eyes filling with tears. Emma got to her feet and pulled a tissue from an already open box on the coffee table. Emma didn't often see Regina cry, it was a rare event but something she was learning to deal with. Regina watched as Emma made her way towards her, slumping down at her side. "It will be, you just have to have hope" she said with a smile, handing the tissue over. Regina screwed the tissue up in the palm of her hand then dabbed at her eyes, careful not to ruin her makeup. "You sound just like your mother" Regina smirked. Emma smiled weakly and placed her hand on Regina's shoulder. When their eyes met she could suddenly feel the blood rushing through her body, her mouth immediately went dry and her heart skipped a beat. Quickly, she pulled her hand away from her old enemy and launched herself onto her feet, unsure of what was happening to her. "I gotta go, I just remembered something" she lied, turning and running into the hall. Regina looked taken aback and made no attempt to stop her. She watched from the window as Emma dived into her car and sped off down the road and out of sight.
Emma flopped down onto her bed and buried her face into the pillow. "What the hell was that?" she whispered to herself, half expecting her subconscious to answer on her behalf. Emma screwed her eyes tightly and recalled that feeling she had just ran away from. In the darkness of her mind she saw Regina hiding behind a tissue, all dewy eyed and pale. Almost in slow motion her hand reached out and came into contact with Regina. Once more the feeling made Emma jump and she sat bolt upright on the bed. Her heart definitely skipped a beat.