Chapter 15. Emma

Chapter 15. Emma

Emma lay in bed beside Regina. She felt numb and worthless. Her mother despised her, her brother had been kidnapped and her loved ones were in danger, all because she was the saviour. And no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't sleep, so after a while she gave up and just lay staring into the darkness thinking of Regina. She couldn't believe how close they had become, they had literally fought like cat and dog, even tried to kill each other but now Emma was starting to feel as if she wouldn't be able to go on if it weren't for Regina.
Regina is strong and independant. She is powerful and stubborn and beautiful, everything Emma could see in her right from the moment they first met. And she wanted her to know that every time she closed her eyes she saw her face and everywhere she went she was thinking about her. "Regina, are you awake?" she whispered. There was no reply. Emma turned to see Regina sleeping peacefully beside her. For a moment she stayed silent and just watched as her chest rose and fell before she leaned in close and kissed her soft lips. Regina stirred, her eyes flickered open. Before she had the chance to ask what was going on, Emma blurted out, "Regina, You're the most beautiful sight I have ever seen". Regina sat up and gazed into Emma's eyes, but again, before she could say a word; Emma lunged at her and kissed her, again and again, her newly formed tears dropping onto Regina's face. Regina wrapped her arms around Emma's body but pulled away from her kiss, "Emma, what's wrong?" She asked as she tasted one of Emma's salty tears. "Nothing, please just kiss me" she whispered, sobbing. Regina sat up and hugged Emma tightly, allowing her to let her emotions flow. "It's alright, It's alright I've got you" Regina lulled, rocking back and fore, stroking Emma's hair. "Emma stop torturing yourself, none of this was your fault", "I should have been there" Emma stuttered between breaths. Regina felt a lump form in her throat. She pecked Emma on the cheek then pulled her back down onto the mattress, where she cradled her in her arms for the rest of the night.

Emma woke alone in Regina's bed the next morning. When she glanced at the clock it was just after eight. She swung her legs out from beneath the duvet and prowled onto the landing. Regina's voice drifted from downstairs, she sounded groggy and a little stressed. Emma went to investigate. "yes, I know that but I won't wake her up she's been- I'll call you back" Regina uttered as she noticed Emma approach the office. "Emma, how are you feeling?" Regina asked jumping up from behind her desk to hug the saviour. Emma shrugged, "Who was that?" she questioned, nodding towards the phone. "Gold, he wants us over there asap, but we can wait a while, have some food", "Zelena isn't waiting", "No-no I doubt she is, but Emma" Regina began, "I'm fine, please, I want to go find my brother". Regina nodded and grabbed her jacket from the back of her chair. "Well come on then" she burst out before marching out of the room.
"So what now?" Emma asked Mr Gold half heartedly. "Well, you have one of two options; you can either go back to Wonderland and hope Zelena has returned to her mansion, or" Mr Gold paused. "Or what?" Emma fretted. "Or you can contact her directly, via this" Mr Gold picked up the mirror from the counter top and placed it into Emma's hands. "I thought this was useless now?" She catechized. Mr Gold thought about his answer before voicing it, "Emma, Zelena is trying to destroy you, but she's going to keep going after your nearest and dearest until you're too weak to fight back. The only way we can make sure nobody else gets hurt, is if you offer yourself up to her", "What, and let her win?" Emma questioned. "No, Regina and I will be there to protect you, but you need her to believe you would trade your life for your loved ones". Emma turned to Regina who looked tense. "Ok, I'll do it" She confirmed, tightly clasping the mirror in her hand. "When?" Regina asked, "No time like the present" Mr Gold suggested. "What no, this isn't something she can rush in to" Regina objected. "Regina it's fine, i'm not afraid of her" Emma said truthfully. Thankfully Regina backed down. "Alright, go to the well, summon Zelena, I'll fetch Henry and leave him with Belle, then I'll be right there to back you up" Mr Gold drawled, picking up a few bits and pieces.

The leaves on the trees had suddenly changed from green to dark browns and reds. It was slap bang in the middle of October and everything seemed more beautiful and relaxing. Everything besides the trouble that would soon descend upon Storybrooke. Emma and Regina roamed leisurely; deep into the forest. After a short time they stumbled upon the well. Emma sighed and held out the mirror. "You know you don't have to do this" Regina stated, "No, I do, I have to do this" Emma exclaimed, "Stay quiet, don't give her any reason to believe i'm not here alone" she added summoning the courage to call Zelena. Regina's eyes saddened but she nodded and took a few steps back and hid behind a tree, peeking around the trunk to keep an eye on Emma. "Zelena, I know you can hear me, answer me" Emma ordered clearly into the glass mirror. Her eyes switched from the mirror to Regina and back again. "Zelena, there's no need to make this any harder for either of us. If you want me, come get me". Expeditiously a glimpse of green skin appeared in the reflection. "Well, if it isn't the saviour" Zelena smirked, widening her eyes playfully. "Where is Neal?" Emma asked seriously, "He's ok, last time I saw him he was anyway", "What do you mean?", "Well, I left him with Lily, she's quite a good babysitter, who would have guessed". Emma ignored this bit of information. "Zelena, you can stop playing games, you and I both know you're after a fight, so lets just get this over and done with". Zelena sniggered, "But we haven't discussed the terms and conditions". "What do you want?" Emma asked, growing frustrated. "Well, besides you dead; obviously. I want my happy ending", "Yeah and what's that?", "You know what, I haven't really decided yet, something to do with me having a family of my own, power and, oh yeah, I want my dear little sis to get down on her knees and beg me to kill her instead of torturing her beyond all limits". Emma had to use every strength in her body not to glance at Regina. "Fine, but if I win this fight, what happens then?", "That's not going to happen, but I'll tell you what, If somehow you win; you'll be rid of me forever", "And you guarantee that?", "Yes I guarantee it, because the only way you're going to beat me is by killing me and you don't have it in you. See you at sundown" Zelena hissed and then disappeared. Emma swallowed hard, within hours, one of them would be dead. Emma looked up, her eyes met Regina's. Neither of them knew what to say and so remained silent and still. "Where the hell is Gold?" Regina whipped scouring her surroundings. "He probably has a good reason for not being here" Emma mumbled but Regina didn't seem to agree.