Chapter 11. Emma

Chapter 11. Emma

Did she really just say that? Emma's subconscious began to spurt random thoughts, all racing through her mind at 100 miles an hour. She wasn't angry now, she felt relieved. Regina pressed her lips together. Emma's heart rebooted itself, "Really?" She queried. She didn't want whatever this was between her and Regina to end, because she was right, them being together was dangerous and fun, but she was terrified to carry on and even more scared to walk away. It was tough to get her head around. Regina immediately succumbed to the same fate as Emma and stood staring into the others eyes. After a moment of hesitation Emma ran to Regina, enveloping her in an embrace full of tenderness and emotion. Both women stood in the centre of the room gripping each other tight. Suddenly Regina began to laugh, "What?" Emma asked, "There's a wicked witch out there planning on destroying us and here we are-" she giggled. Emma's face lit up with a smile that could melt a thousand hearts as she watched Regina laugh.
A few hours passed. Regina asked Granny to watch Henry until she got back, she even let slip that there could be some sort of danger. The old girl was probably sat with her crossbow ready to strike Zelena down right now. Emma fed Neal and put him to bed, thankfully he fell asleep straight away, taking a night off from the screaming and crying. Regina made them both a cup of cocoa and brought them into the room. She placed her own mug down on the table, but before she passed the second mug to Emma she stuck her finger through the frothy surface and licked at the cream and cinnamon. "That is wrong on so many levels" she gibed, pulling a face as the taste lingered on her tongue. Emma scoffed and took the cup from her. The sound from the television lulled in the background as they sat peacefully drinking their cocoa, curled up together on the sofa; The thought of Zelena's possible attack no longer on their minds.
All of a sudden a smashing sound came from the kitchen; A powerful breeze had knocked over a vase. Emma jumped causing Regina to spill her cocoa down her shirt. "Oh my god Regina i'm so sorry" Emma apologised using her sleeve to try and dry her off a little. Regina laughed "it's fine, call it karma, i'll just find another shirt." She groaned thinking back to when she lead Emma to spill her own cocoa down herself at Granny's. She put down her cup and took to the stairs while Emma swept up the broken glass on the tiled floor. After waiting a minute or two Emma traipsed up the stairs after Regina. "What do you think?" Regina asked when she spotted Emma lurking in the doorway. "Very nice, it looks better on you than it ever did on me" She joked. Regina grinned and began to fasten the shirt. Emma held out her arms and helped button the shirt, "The top ones a bit stiff because it kind of melted when I ironed it once" Emma mumbled pushing the button into it's holder forcefully. Regina looked down at Emma's face and planted a kiss on her cheek. Immediately Emma closed her eyes and threw her head back, allowing Regina to trail kisses down her neck. As one thing led to another they found themselves lying on the bed kissing and touching one another, giggling like school girls. "What are you doing?" an unexpected voice boomed from the doorway. Emma pulled herself upright, her heart stopping as the sound of her mother's voice echoed in her mind. At that exact moment she felt a burning sensation biting at her arm but she chose to ignore it, fixated on what her mother had just witnessed "Mom?" Emma exclaimed, panic rising in her voice. Mary Margaret span around and ran down the stairs. Emma climbed off Regina's lap and ran after her, Regina straightened herself out and followed. "Mom I can explain" Emma called after her as she raced down the stairs. David looked up from his phone to see the three women staring at each other. "What's happened?" He asked, not having a clue what was going on around him. Mary Margaret raised a finger and pointed at Emma and Regina, but words failed her. She clenched her fist and walked to the other side of the room. "Mom, it's not what you think" Emma spoke up, "No, actually, It is what you think, please let me expl-". Mary Margaret reached into the crib. But everyone could see immediately that something was wrong. With fear in her voice Mary Margaret asked, "Where is Neal?". Emma's heart stopped. "What? No?" Emma exclaimed rushing to her mother's side. The crib was empty. Neal was gone. David tried to remain calm. "Emma when did you last see your brother?" he asked, anger hidden in his voice. Emma began to cry, "He was right here, I only left him for a few minutes, he was asleep. I was only away from him for a few minutes". Emma's heart shattered. Her brother was gone. Somebody had taken him and it was all her fault. Mary Margaret raced outside the apartment and screamed for Neal, the kind of voice that would make the hairs on your neck stand up. Simultaneously, lights in nearby houses turned on and people glanced out of their windows in search for who was screaming. Mary Margaret screamed again "NEAL" She cried. Emma ran to her. "I'm so sorry-" She began, a lump in her throat. "GET AWAY FROM ME EMMA" Mary Margaret roared, her eyes filled with outrage. Regina grabbed Emma's hand and dragged her away from Mary Margaret while David went to comfort her. Just as she was about to fall to the floor David caught her in his arms and held her tightly. Emma could only watch on in horror as her parents broke down in the middle of the street.
David somehow coaxed Mary Margaret from the floor and he led her to Mr Gold's. "You better come with us" David said flatly to Emma and Regina. Slowly they followed the way to the pawnbrokers.