Chapter 24. Regina

Chapter 24. Regina

"It won't be long until Zelena realises you're still alive, we need to get out of here and find a safe place to stay" Regina told Emma. "No, I think we need to carry on through the night", Emma paused then added "Are you tired?" Regina cocked her head, "No, you see, the thing about dying is, once you get back to your life, you're filled with the energy of a thousand stars". Emma's eyes seemed to twinkle with a thousand stars as Regina spoke those words. "I love you Regina Mills" Emma bubbled, filling with happiness. "And I love you, Emma Swan" Regina replied, kissing her with passion and tenderness, proving that she meant every word. "Emma there's something I need to tell you, Zelena has your parents" Regina stammered. "I know" Emma interrupted, "Zelena showed them to me through the mirror, she really wanted me to hurt, and as much as they may hate me right now, I NEED to save them". "Then that's exactly what we're going to do" Regina agreed. Together they stood up and took each others hands. Regina entwined her fingers with Emma's and cast the transportation spell, within seconds they appeared in a cloud of purple smoke amongst the trees opposite Zelena's mansion. A clap of thunder boomed from overhead. The air was surprisingly warm, in Storybrooke the temperature would be referred to as extremely cold, but after the time they spent on Madman's Mountain this weather was practically like summer. Flying monkey's stood guard at the front door, admittedly making it harder for them to break in. "You don't happen to have a couple bananas up your sleeve do you?" Regina asked Emma, keeping a watchful eyes on the monkey's. Emma didn't reply, instead she touched Regina's arm supportively before making her way along the edge of the forest. Regina pursed her lips and followed, keeping a loose grip on Emma's fingers as she trailed behind. Luckily for them the forest seemed to wrap itself around the mansion and within no time they found themselves at the back door. As expected Zelena's trusted friends were guarding all of the back entrances too. "Damn it" Emma mouthed in frustration. The monkey's marched back and forth holding sharp spears, making them look a lot more threatening than they would have without them. "Any ideas?" Emma asked Regina hopefully, not knowing anything to suggest. Regina looked around their surroundings and made a checklist in her mind, there were guards at the doors, guards at the windows, and even a few loitering where there was ivy growing up the brick work. She rubbed her forehead with the palm of her hand. As she pulled her eyes away from the mansion she picked up on something she had not spotted until that very moment. "There" she pointed towards the ground. Emma followed Regina's gaze. Emma sighed, "Normally that would disgust me but if that's really all we have to work with right now, we'll just have to go with it" Regina added as Emma realised what the plan was. For a moment they both stared halfheartedly at the iron grid fixed to the ground. "Alright your majesty, time to get down and dirty" Emma mumbled rolling up her sleeves. Regina pulled a face but did the same, revealing her pale arms. "Ok we need to distract the monkey's" Emma chimed. "Allow me" a voice spoke from behind. Emma and Regina turned, grinning up at them stood Mallymkun. "What are you doing here?" Regina asked surprised, "Helping you, if you'll let me" the mouse smiled. "Alright Soldier" Emma said with a sense of confidence. Another clap of thunder rumbled in the sky. Mallymkun saluted the women and slinked off into the forest. Emma and Regina stood by and waited for a signal. After a moment or two Mallymkun began to call out to the guards, "Hey, you big bunch of baboons" she yelled. The marching monkey's came to a standstill as they searched for the source of the voice. "Evil Queen at twelve o'clock" the mouse added pointing behind her. With that the majority of the monkeys's kicked off from the ground and flew into the forest in order to capture the intruder. Mallymkun threw herself into a hole in the ground and tunneled herself away from the mansion. Regina smiled, her white teeth glittering in the starlight, "clever mouse" she whispered. "Let's go" Emma insisted grabbing Regina's arm. Together they raced over to the drainage system. Regina forced a spell upon the iron grid, the bolts unscrewing, detaching the lid. Regina wafted her arm to the side, the grid moving out of the way, revealing a steep, smelly sewer. "After you" Regina said letting Emma take to the the tiny ladder first.
The sewer was disgusting. It smelled just as bad, if not worse than anyone would ever imagine a sewer could. Regina lifted the lid back over the entrance leaving no trace behind them, before creating a fireball for light. "How are you at trekking through poop Regina?" Emma asked. Regina tried desperately not to breathe through her nose, "You kidding? This is nothing compared to the mess Henry used to make as a baby" she joked. Emma smiled at the thought of their son, who was thankfully safe at home right now, unlike his mother's. The sewer seemed to go on forever, until finally, they reached the first sewage pipe. Thankfully the murky water wasn't as deep as it was in the main section of the sewer. Although the pipe was rounded and cramped, it was just about big enough for Emma and Regina to walk through, side by side. "I'm sorry I took so long to get to you" Regina mentioned in the silence. "It's ok" Emma smiled "Just try and be a little quicker next time" she added with a smile. Silence fell between them again. Emma thought about David and Mary Margaret and how, Mary Margaret in particular, had reacted upon finding her and Regina together the way she had. "Do you think my parents will ever accept us being together?" Emma asked. "Yes, I do" Regina confessed. Emma looked into her eyes. Regina spoke again "All your mother and father ever wanted was for you to be happy, even if the only person who could put a smile on your face was an evil queen" Regina smirked. "Less of the evil you" Emma warned, pointing a finger at Regina but retrieving it to kiss her instead. After a minute or so they arrived at the end of the pipe. Above their heads was a drain. Thankfully the room above was empty and Regina was able to use her magic to unscrew the bolts the same way she had outside. She then cupped her hands and gave Emma a boost. "Careful" Regina whispered as Emma pulled herself through the tiny gap. She watched as the blonde wriggled onto the tiled floor before turning to help her up. "Nice" Emma cooed looking around the cream bathroom, appreciating the interior. "Mm" Regina sounded, "Not as nice as my bathroom", "No, definitely not as nice as your bathroom, your majesty" Emma giggled.
The bathroom door lead them out into a dully lit corridor, but thankfully brighter than both the cave and the the sewer combined. "Right, you said Zelena showed you were the Charming's were, where are they?" Regina asked. Emma thought back to the image the mirror displayed, "The cells, possibly the same ones she kept us in", "Then we should head straight there". The two women agreed and tiptoed silently through the corridor. So far, Zelena was nowhere to be seen, though she was probably spending time with her child, or perhaps even out looking for Emma. Outside the storm continued, the rumbling thunder and flashes of lightning built an even more intense atmosphere as Emma and Regina crept through the hall. As they reached the top of the stairs, they hid behind the banister. Two guards stood at the front door, looking through the tiny window out across the garden. A few candles attached to the walls made the room a lot brighter than what Emma and Regina's eyes were used to at the moment. Regina placed a finger to her lips and nodded to Emma, squinting at the light. Together they took to the stairs, slowly, trying to make as little sound as possible. Regina could feel her heart slowing as she took to each step. The guards were fixated on their duty and did not suspect a thing behind them. Just as they reached the bottom step Regina threw her arm out, causing Emma to come to a standstill. She pointed down to their feet. If they were to step onto the wooden floor there was no way their footsteps would be quiet enough to avoid the monkey's attention. "Memorise the way, I'm gonna turn out the lights" Regina mouthed silently to Emma. Emma nodded and did as she was told before taking hold of Regina's hand. Regina then held out her free hand, casting a spell that plunged them into complete darkness. The guards jumped and started shrieking as Emma and Regina ran to the library room as fast as they could. Regina pushed open the door, together they stumbled into the room before locking the door with the little brass key sticking out below the handle.