Chapter 23. Emma

Chapter 23. Emma

"Are you Emma Swan?", "Yeah, who are you?", "My names Henry, I'm your son". A vision of her son came to her mind, she watched as the little boy introduced himself before pushing past her and letting himself into her home. Suddenly the scene faded and switched, a beautiful dark haired woman stared emotionally into her eyes, "You're Henry's birth mother?" "Hi". Again the scene changed. Emma saw her parents, then her mind cast back to Henry and Regina, then onto a dragon, to Neal, Hook and back to Henry again. Moments of her life darted through her mind. All of the the good times, and even a few of the bad, memories she wished didn't exist and ones that she would keep forever. "I'm ok Regina, I don't need a babysitter", "Well maybe I need you". Again the scene changed, building dramatically. "We'll just go back to being stories again", "What will happen to us?", "I don't know", "That doesn't sound much like a happy ending", "It's not, but I can give you one". An unbearable pain unleashed within as Emma relived her most heartfelt memories. Her sights began to fade, darkening as her brain activity faulted and took rest. However, the very moment her body shut off she suddenly found herself waking up, her eyes shot open to see nothing but a beautiful white light lingering around her. For a moment she thought she was dead, this was her soul leaving her body, taking her to Heaven. Just then a magic she had never injured before struck her at the core, it was powerful and overbearing and stronger than any force in the world. She looked down at her feet to see Regina's legs entwined around hers. The sea below them grew deeper and deeper with every passing second, 'what's happening?' she thought to herself as the terrifyingly beautiful moment played out. Were they sinking deeper? Was she dreaming? Was she actually dead? Had she died in Regina's arms, and Regina in hers?. As many more confused thoughts swept her mind she finally managed to work out that they weren't drowning, in fact they were rising to the surface. The magic was saving them. Her mind cast back to something she had heard before, "Love, True love, is magic" she repeated that sentence over and over in her head. That's it. Even before the tide took them down, both Emma and Regina were trapped. There was no way either of them would have gotten out of there in time to escape their fate, but their declaration of love to one another had somehow saved them both just in time to avoid death. Magic always comes with a price but in this case the price was life, their love would not allow them to die in vain. Mr Gold was right, love really is the most powerful magic of all. With that one last thought they were lifted from the water. The roof of the cave had been pushed away, the rocks fell all around them but could not fall upon them. Emma stared at Regina, her eyes not yet open, she automatically gripped harder onto her freezing body as they transcended through an extremely bright ray of light before landing safely on the ground.

"Regina, Regina" Emma cooed, rubbing her hand over the mayor's cheek. She felt groggy and her muscles ached but somehow had much more energy than she expected, but Regina was still not responding and she had to get her back. "Kiss her" a voice sounded from the left. Emma jumped and glanced over her shoulder. "Who said that?" She asked looking all around for a source. "I did", Emma looked down to see a mouse gazing over at her. Emma closed her eyes and sighed "Of course, a talking mouse" she breathed. "Emma" the mouse began but Emma interrupted, "How do you know my name? Who are you?", "My name is Mallymkun, I know Regina, I helped her find you", "you did?", The mouse nodded. "She loves you very much, you need to kiss her" Mallymkun added. Emma looked confused, she remembered telling Regina that she loved her before she was dragged down under the water, but did Regina feel the same? She'd never said it before, if she kissed her now and she didn't wake, she would have lost her love and found out the truth, that Regina couldn't possibly feel the same way. "Emma kiss her, now!" the mouse shouted. A tear fell from Emma's eye, she pushed a lock of hair from Regina's face and knelt closer to her. She then, very gently placed her lips upon Regina's. They were cold and dry, not like any other time she had kissed them. Emma closed her eyes and kissed Regina harder, as if she knew this was going to be the last time she would ever be able to do so. Then she pulled away. Nothing happened, Emma threw her head back and wailed. The mouse looked at the ground, saddened. Emma's cries filled the sky, anyone nearby would be able to hear them. She entwined her fingers with Regina's as she struggled for breath, for a moment she held her hand and sobbed into her chest. It was getting late, the sun had almost set and the air grew colder even though Emma couldn't really tell because her body was still freezing cold, her clothes soaked and clinging to her body. Emma sat up and turned to the mouse but before she had the chance to let go, Regina's hand flinched. Emma turned so fast she felt a rush of pain travel down her neck, but that didn't matter, something was happening to Regina. She gawped down at the beautiful brunette, her eyes darting from side to side as she looked for any signs of movement. She squeezed Regina's hand tightly, and that's when it happened. Regina's huge chocolate brown eyes sprung open. A high pitch squeal escaped from within Emma as she flooded with happiness. "Regina" she sobbed once more, relieved. Regina focused on Emma. "Ms Swan" Regina breathed, a smile creeping up her face. "It worked, It worked" Emma repeated, completely shocked. "True loves kiss never fails" Regina whispered, pulling herself up onto her elbows. "But I don't understand, why did I have to do this? You kissed me first" Emma asked confused. Regina smiled weakly thinking back to the terror of drowning. "I gave my last breath to save your life, and now you've saved mine, look we're in Wonderland, Emma we transcended realms, through love" Regina told, her eyes filling with tears. Emma collapsed on top of Regina and held her tightly. They lay there, together, for a while before Mallymkun started to walk away. "Wait" Regina said, getting the mouse's attention. "Where are you going, I have to help you get into the army?" she said to her tiny friend. Mallymkun grinned, "You have already helped me Regina, there were moments on that mountain where I wanted to turn back, but your determination to rescue Emma made me much braver, and I thank you for that because courage was all I needed". Both Emma and Regina smiled and then the mouse walked away, excited to get started on her new life.