Chapter 25. Emma

Chapter 25. Emma

"Do you think they saw that it was us?" Emma asked, panting for breath. Regina pushed from against the doorframe. "No, but it won't matter if they did or not, Zelena will know, we need to do this quick, in and out ok?" Regina informed. Emma nodded and walked over to the bookshelf. The book, 'Clues to the curse' stood firm in its place. In one swift movement Emma pushed her finger against the spine the book, clicking it into place. The bookshelf then opened, allowing her and Regina to step inside the secret room. The secret room looked how it always had, two leather arm chairs and a shabby desk. Regina wondered over to the door that led to the cells and pushed down on the handle, but it was locked. "It's alright" she muttered, hearing Emma intake a deep breath of panic, "Leave it with me" she added. Emma nodded and decided to check the desks contents out of pure interest to see if there was anything new, or missing. As she lifted the lid her eyes fell upon the pacifier, quill and paper. The card box was no longer kept there, then Emma remembered Regina throwing it into the bin. She also knew the compact mirror was back in Storybrooke. Once she flipped the lid shut again, Regina had managed to unlock the door with her magic. The door flew open, "Piece of cake" she said, puffing out her cheeks.

David and Mary Margaret sat back to back, tied and gagged just like Emma had seen in the mirror, in the very same cells she and Regina had been held in. Surprisingly there was nobody else around. Emma had kind of expected Zelena to have taken more prisoners, even if it was just to build tension and make her parents more afraid. One guard sat alone cleaning itself, not paying much attention to the prisoners. "What do we do?" Emma asked Regina in a whisper. Regina ran her tongue across her top lip as she thought. She already had thought of a plan but was hoping to think of another to avoid it but her mind remained blank. "We have to split up" she said flatly, "What, no" Emma interrupted. Regina pulled Emma aside. "It won't be for long, You go back into the secret room, I'll cause a distraction in one of the other cells, then when the fleabag comes to investigate you get inside the cells, take the keys and free your parents, then I'll meet you back at the desk". "Regina, that's crazy, how do you know that would work?" Emma bickered. Regina looked away, refusing to look into Emma's eyes "It will, trust me" she fained confidence. Emma hesitated but went along with the plan, she snuck back into the secret room and watched through the little window as Regina made her way into the the second cell block. A loud clattering sound echoed through the hallways and just as Regina had expected, the guard upped and left his post to find the cause of the sound. As soon as it scarpered out of sight Emma rushed into the cell.

A keychain hung from a nail on the wall, thankfully Emma recognised the key that had set her free the last time she tried to escape Zelena's prison. David and Mary Margaret attempted to look around them, both flinching not knowing who was there or what there fate was. Emma wanted to speak and assure them it was ok but she couldn't risk the guard hearing and coming back before she had a chance to save them. She fumbled with the lock and shook the door to the cell, it bounced open. Quickly, Emma grabbed a candle from the wall and fell to her knees. She held the flame against the tightly tied rope which burned through it releasing her parents hands. She then threw the candle aside and ripped off the blindfolds. "Mom, Dad" she gasped glad to see them. Mary Margaret cocked her head to the side, "Sorry?" she asked. Emma retreated slightly, "Mom?" she repeated, "Sorry, who are you?" her mother questioned. Emma's jaw dropped open, she turned to David hoping he would know who she was, but he looked just as confused as her mother. "It's me, Emma, your daughter, I've come to save you" she muttered. "Thank you for untying us but, we don't have a daughter" David spoke up. Emma felt a sense of dread run through her body but she didn't want to freak her parents out. "Sorry, sorry it's dark, you just look a lot like my parents" she lied to them trying her best not to get upset. Emma looked out into the other cells hoping to catch a glimpse of Regina, but she didn't. She didn't even see the monkey. "Ok, lets get out of here" she coaxed motioning towards the door. With that David and Mary Margaret rose to their feet and followed Emma into the secret room.

Minutes went by and Emma began to grow even more worried about Regina and she refused to sit tight any longer. "Ok, you guys sit here, there's something I have to do, please, please don't go anywhere, just wait until I get back" she begged. "Ok" Mary Margaret answered, a suspicious look etching upon her face. "I won't be long" Emma said and then she ran from the room and down the corridor of the second set of cells. This block was huge compared to the first, there were countless empty cells reaching on for miles underground, neither Regina or the monkey came into sight, but she kept searching.