Chapter 24

Maxwell's wolf was finally satisfied.

He pulled back and admired his claim. He had branded his claim on his mate and there was no force in this world that could undo it. She was now his. The mark on the neck was for the world to see his claim.

His Mate!

As he became content, his singular objective achieved, he let Maxwell wrestle the control back.

As Maxwell took control back, one feeling overcame him. Horror.

Horror at what he had done.

He realized that he was still holding her as a rag-doll and she was clearly in shock and sobbing inconsolably. His hands recoiled in shock as he released her.

She collapsed at the door, the very door which would have granted her freedom some time ago. But now, there was no door in this world that could give her freedom back. She curled in to a ball and the gut wrenching sobs wracking her body shook Maxwell to his very core.

How could he? How could his stupid wolf!

There was no excuse, he had claimed this girl against her wishes. His horror slowly turned to disgust. Disgust at himself, for his actions. He looked down at the girl sobbing, his hand automatically extended to comfort her but stopped midway.

She was curled in to a ball, her head at her knees and her hand on top of her face as if trying to protect herself. It was heartbreaking and wrong on so many levels.

He would be the last person on the planet who could comfort her right now, he could feel the mate bond slowly forming with every minute. It would only grow stronger. He was terrified of her reaction, what would she do? What would she feel? She would surely hate him. But right now looking at her so helpless he felt overwhelming bitterness of his actions.

He looked around and saw Alex half lying on the floor with shock and Adrian standing stoic with a grim expression on his face.

Finding one's mate should be a celebration, a happy event. Not this. Anything but this. This was wrong!

Seeing Maxwell's horrified face Adrian jumped into action. He figured out mostly what happened and he would fill in the blanks later, but for now, he needed to prioritize.

He walked up to Maxwell who was looking down at the girl in horror and gently put an arm on his shoulder from behind.

"Maxwell, get out of here" he gently said

Maxwell turned back to him still with an expression of disbelief as if he could not believe what happened in the last few minutes.

"I..." Maxwell started but words failed him.

"She.." He started again pointing to the girl but nothing came out.

"Leave Maxwell" Adrian said firmly "You cannot do anything now, go to the room and take some time, I will try and sort this out meanwhile.

Maxwell nodded and he looked at the girl "I am sorry, so sorry!" He whispered more to himself then to her. Adrian shoved him out "go!" And finally Maxwell turned and left.

Adrian went over to the covering guard "I need a car in 2 min at this door" he said pointing to the door where Evelyn was still lying and sobbing. The guard nodded

"And" Adrian said in a tone that would not take any prisoners "not a word about this"

The guard eagerly nodded "once you are done, I want you to pack up and leave for Roma and don't talk to anyone. Do you understand?" The guard looked in to the hard eyes of Adrian and nodded again "good" Adrian said dismissing him as the guard jumped in to action.