Chapter 28

Chapter 28
---------------

"Good morning alpha Nick."

"Good morning David, hope you had a pleasant trip." they were seated in Nick's office.

"As pleasant as a trip can be" David hated flying, closed spaces was not his thing.

"So, what brings you to this part of the world?" Nick asked now that pleasantries were out of the way.

David smiled with a look that said do you even have to ask?

"The council has been concerned about the events happening here."

Nick remained impassive but raised an eyebrow "The council? Or just one member of the council?"

David leaned back in his chair. He hated politics.

"Even one member is a part of the council, alpha and if they are concerned it is worth investigating." as if he was not literally pushed out of the door by Gordon Lockbourne to come here.

"I am honored!" Nick said "But what I fail to understand is why now?"

David looked confused.

"Do you know how many packs are registered with the American council from Colorado David?" Nick asked.

He didn't and it was more of rhetorical question. So David waited.

"Seventeen." Nick paused and added "Do you know how many remain today?"

Again, after a moments silence he added "one. Mine"

"So my question to you, enforcer is where was the council when we were being hunted and killed like dogs?"

David did not miss the flash of anger in the alpha's voice. He was surprised at this information.

Gordon Lockbourne had sounded the enforcers off even before he or his team heard anything that there were going to be some disturbances in Colorado and the American council was handling it. So when some news had indeed come out, he had not paid attention to it. It was presented to him as if it was a minor skirmish that local alphas were handling. Not this, certainly not this.

Nick noted the surprise in David's face "Didn't know this did you?" he asked smugly.

"I wonder what else you don't know. What else your master has decided to keep you in dark on?" he whispered more to himself but was clearly intended for David's ears.

The master bit was a deliberate insult. David ignore it, he had bigger fish to fry.

"Nevertheless I am here to find what really happened."

Emotions flashed on Nick's face.

"Oh! I will tell you exactly what happened enforcer" He said with emotion.

"One pack at a time were hunted and eliminated by rogues. While we begged and pleaded with the seven." The seven he referred to were the seven members of the American council.

"No help came!" He bitterly spat.

"Why didn't you approach us?" David interjected "We could have helped" he added.

Nick gave a bitter laugh "Do you think we had the luxury or your council's bickering and internal wrangling while we were being slaughtered. I do not have the same faith on your council as you do. Especially with Gordon on the chair. What do you think he would have done when we bypass the seven? Don't you think Gordon did not know what the seven were up to?" Nick asked and continued "I don't think so. So I turned to the only source of help I could find. If they had not come in when they did, we would also have been wiped out."