Chapter 2

Chapter 2

———————

Evelyn was waiting nervously with everyone else in the assembly room of the Pack house, the pack Luna had asked everyone to assemble and that alpha had an important announcement to make. The pack had now assembled and were waiting for the alpha to appear.

Evelyn shifted on her legs nervously and looked around, there was a buzz in the assembled crowd with all kinds of wild speculations of what the alpha would be announcing, expectations were high. 

It was rumored that the alpha was in negotiations from a pack that would help them out. Help they desperately needed.

She did not pay any attention to the conversations happening around her, she had confidence in her alpha, he was a kind and fair man. He had given her and her mother sanctuary in tough times especially after her father died they had moved to this pack for a fresh start.

He had given then sanctuary, accepted them in to his pack and since then he had been nothing but an fair and compassionate leader. Her sentiments were not her's alone, his pack loved him dearly. He was held in the highest esteem.

She involuntary sighed recalling tougher times... recalling her dead father. He never was a great dad but never the less he was her father. 

They had been kicked out of their original pack when she was small, it was because of something her dad did. Not sure what it was and he always maintained that the alpha was at fault but knowing her father she knew without doubt it was him and not the alpha as he claimed.

Without pack they kept moving around, other packs let had let them in, as a small family of rogues was not a threat to them. However the frequency of them getting kicked out of packs after packs did not surprise her.

Eventually one fine day, the beta of the pack they were residing with came to their house and informed that their father had been killed in a road accident, he was drunk and driving his car, had gone off the road, and had smashed in to a tree killing him on the spot.

The alpha had offered them sanctuary in his pack but Evelyn and her mother wanted a new start so they ended up in Colorado and in Nicks pack, with a fresh start. The pack was kind to them, helped them get on their feet, her mother had eventually taken a loan from the alpha and partnered with Jeff the Beta of the pack and started a diner in the town.

Over time her mother and the beta fell in love and now all of them were living together. She looked next to her Jeff with his arms on his mother, she was finally happy finally happy and Jeff had been the father figure she always wanted. They were not mates of course but neither were her mom and dad.

Mates had become extremely rare and wolves would go without a mate for all their life, so they fell in love and made a family like humans.  There were very few mated pairs, most of them were revered and cherished by the packs and were protected and nurtured, as a mated pair produced an very strong werewolf offspring who would mostly become an alpha of the pack. 

The title of alpha was not heredity it had to be fought upon and anyone in the pack could contest for the title, usually the alpha's children due to their strong bloodlines would become an alpha but they still had to fight to win.

Evelyn looked at her mother and Jeff again, looking at the worry in their eyes. She had thought that they finally has some happiness in life and then the rogues struck, they had   changed everything, destroyed their life's and community and they were hell bent on annihilation of the pack. This announcement was even worrisome for them because Jeff was usually on Nick's side but Nick had alienated Jeff from this.