2. Don't Open The Door Before You Know Who's There

My fingers slid across the smooth surface of the blood red crystal, my eyes gazing down into its depths, almost as if I were entranced. It was the only thing I had left of the time before the 'incident.' The only thing I had with me when I appeared on that doorstep.

I couldn't figure out what was so important about the crystal. I didn't have a clue why I must wear it. The only odd thing about the pendant was the fact that when it was removed, the nightmares began, the nightmares that seemed so real, so true, but always occurred during the medieval era. Could it have stopped the nightmares? But how? It was only a mere necklace. What could be so special about it?

The doorbell rang, the sound jingling throughout the thin walls of the house. I glanced up and craned my head towards the door of my bedroom, letting the crystal slip through my fingers so it hung in the air from the chain. I dropped it into my pocket and started swiftly towards the front door.

It must have been Juliette. She hadn't answered my texts or calls, but she probably got her phone taken and was coming in person to tell me. It's happened before.

I wrapped my pale fingers around the cold golden handle and swung the door open, allowing an expectant smile to find its way to my lips. The cool autumn breeze tumbled past me into the house, tickling my bare arms. My lips parted to say hello just as my eyes locked onto the figure standing on my porch.

Derek Darkling.

My hand instinctively pushed the door closed again, slamming it on his face with a loud resonating click.

I stared in shock at the door for a moment more before pulling it back open.

"How did you know where I lived?" I asked in bewilderment. "Wait, don't answer that."

I let the door smack back into place once more, allowing myself more time to think. I took a wary step back before jerking the door open again. "How did you know where I live?"

He smirked just slightly. "I followed you."

I gaped at him. "You creep!"

The door snapped shut again and I turned on my heels and started back towards my room. I stopped. I hurried back to the door and swung it open one last time.

"What do you want?" I asked sharply.

"I just wished to make sure you were intending to follow my advice." He murmured softly.

I scowled at him. "Of course I am. Do you really think I would disregard the advice of the only person I've met who knows my past? Now get lost."

I went to slam the door again but his foot blocked it. I glanced down at the polished leather before lifting my eyes back up towards his.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

He stepped closer to the door and shoved it open easily. He moved inside and let the door fall back into place behind him, his lips turning upwards into a smirk.

"Get out of my house." I demanded.

He only tilted his head at me, entirely ignoring my unspoken warning.

"Once I see the pendant around your neck, then I will." He stated calmly.

"No." I said venomously. "You will leave now."

His bright blue eyes twinkled maliciously. "I don't see what the problem is, Shaie. If you intend to wear the pendant, then what's the difficultly in putting it on now?"