23. Don't Choose The Wrong Threat

Juliette cried out in surprise as the winds jerked our bodies into one another before tearing them apart again. The air around us shimmered as golden tendrils flit about the foggy mass.

"What is this?" Juliette screamed, her eyes squinting to see me through the blurring air.

"Time travel!" I called back, before adding silently, "I hope."

Juliette shrieked and her grip loosened, but I held onto her.

"Something's got my foot!" She cried, turning terrified eyes back to me.

I moved to respond but just then the winds shoved us outwards and we suddenly crashed down onto a rough ground. A scream tore it's way from my throat as my entire body spiked in pain, but I stumbled back to my feet, pulling Juliette up beside me. She groaned, clenching her eyes tightly. I brushed myself off.

Around us, a dark forest creaked and groaned, shadows dancing just out of our vision, the moonlight sparkling across the shivering leaves. Juliette turned in a circle, her eyes widening.

"Where are we?" She whispered.

I followed her wandering gaze. "If I'm right, somewhere in the Medieval time Era."

She didn't reply.

My gaze landed on a shadowed figure rising to his feet in the near distance.

"You said something grabbed your foot?" I asked quietly.

She nodded. "Yeah, it felt like a hand--"

"He followed us."

She fell silent. I turned towards her sharply.

"Juliette, run. Run until you find civilization. Look for someone named Sally or Percy. Give them--" I moved to hand her the old necklace, but it was gone. In its place lay the darkened ashes of our last hope. My heart dropped. "Tell them it didn't work."

Juliette stared at the ashes in my hand for a long time.

"I don't understand. Aren't you coming with me?"

"No. No, she isn't." He murmured the words dangerously close behind me, and my heart began to beat in panic in my chest.

Juliette stiffened. "I'm not leaving without you."

I shook my head. "Yes, you are. Go. I'll find you again . . . sometime."

"Listen to her and run along." Derek hissed lowly.

Juliette shook her head slowly, tears spilling from her eyes. She gazed at me a moment longer before turning and fleeing into the forest. I spun around and lifted my hand towards Derek, but he caught it quickly and jerked me towards him.

"Your magic is a little rough around the edges. Even if you remember, instinct isn't what it used to be." His breath fanned across my cheeks. I tilted my head away.

I felt a faint tingling begin in my fingers, but Derek's grip tightened around my wrist.

"No magic for you, Morgana. It's bed time." He whispered.

A heaviness settled over me and I found myself falling limp in his arms, my eyelids drifting shut.

"Goodnight, Morgana." Derek murmured. "Sleep tight."

° ° °

A horse jostled beneath me, jolting my body back and forth on the saddle. Derek's arm tightened around my waist as my eyes fluttered open, and I glanced around hazily at the familiar surroundings.