33. Don't Neglect Secrecy

"Shouldn't we wait until night before trying to escape?" Sally hissed.

I led her swiftly through the maze of halls towards the stables, relying mainly on instinct to get me there. But if there was anything I was absolutely sure of, it was that instinct was linked directly to magic. So when we reached the small wooden door, I didn't feel the slightest hint of surprise.

"I have a feeling Derek knows what we've done. It won't be long before he finds us if we stay." I replied quickly.

I pushed the door open and crept out onto the cold grass, glancing up at the fortress to assure that no one watched us from the windows. Then I took Sally's hand and pulled her into the stables.

"Find a horse. Any of them except that one." I gestured towards Derek's horse.

Sally turned towards me,one eyebrow raised. "There's only two other horses, Morgana and it looks like you've already chosen yours."

I stopped moving, realizing that I'd been subconsciously heading towards the midnight mare. Then I scowled at her and kept moving.

"Just grab the white one and keep your snarky comments for when we aren't in a life threatening hurry."

She rolled her eyes and quickly led the white horse from her stall. I did the same with the midnight horse, smiling when he nuzzled his head into my shoulder.

"Why do you get the friendly one?" Sally complained. "Mine looks like it wants to murder me."

I glanced at her, and sure enough, the horse's head pulled as far away from Sally as it could get and the black eyes appeared to be staring at her with a deep loathing.

"Don't worry Sally. I'm sure she'll grow to tolerate you."

She glared at me, but huffed indignantly and pulled herself onto the horse's back. I did the same, shifting uncomfortably as I guided him out into the fields.

"You look a bit nervous, Morgana." Sally derided playfully.

I scowled. "I haven't ridden a horse in over two years. What do you expect me to look like?"

Sally only shrugged. "You'll get the hang of it. You're a fast learner, always have been."

I smiled grimly. It was time to throw myself into the ocean and see if I remembered how to swim. I nudged my heels into the mare's sides and he lurched into a gallop. Sally followed close behind.

"You look like you're about to vomit!" Sally cried.

I didn't respond.

We entered the cover of the trees and slowed the horses down to a quick trot. I glanced at Sally for guidance, after all I had no clue anymore where I would go.

"Percy and Juliette would have moved camp after Derek took me. But luckily we've got a secret hideout in case this ever happened. It's just northeast of here." She turned her horse in that direction, but I stopped her.

"If we go directly there we'll leave a clear trial for Derek to follow. We take the horses east for a long ways, then cut south. Then we leave the horses and go north in foot."

She grinned and nodded. I turned the midnight mare east and started through the forest. Sally trailed close behind.

After we'd gone a significant distance, I stopped, glancing at Sally once before I inhaled deeply, closed my eyes, and opened my body for the magic to flow through. I copied the actions I took on that day long ago in that little cupboard, but this time I felt a strong sense of confidence, and I remembered the spell that was written in the little magic book I now had tucked in my cloak.