19. Don't Let Him See Your Fear

"Morgana! Morgana, are you alright?"

Sally's voice echoed as if miles away, bouncing just out of reach of my ears. The shattering of the clay flower still pounded against my skull, ringing in an insistent series repeating over and over again.

He stood before me, his honey brown hair and sky blue eyes the same as ever, his face showing a shock similar to mine, almost an exact copy.

"Morgana! Are you listening to me!"

My feet stepped forward on their own, my dress falling out behind me with each soft movement. I walked as if entranced, my eyes locked on his form. The remnants of the clay flower head lay neglected behind me, the dust flowering the feet of my family in gentle showers. I stopped just as I reached him, stretching out a wary hand as if to touch him, but then pulling back.

"You-" I breathed, blinking rapidly to clear the fog in my mind.

The boy copied my actions, his mouth opening and then closing before repeating the same action several times over.

"I thought I would never see you again." He mumbled.

His voice had changed, deeper now and a bit more sinister, though I couldn't think anything of it. The bewilderment in his voice calmed me when my brain sensed a hint of glee and a cruel excitement, but even though my conscious mind ignored it, my sixth sense had not.

"You're . . . the Prince." I exclaimed quietly, taking a cautious step backwards.

His hand shot out and clasped onto my wrist, instantly halting my retreat, but then he glanced down at his action and blinked in surprise before letting go.

"Sorry, I didn't--I--sorry." He mumbled.

I stared at my wrist for a moment before lifting my eyes back up to his.

"It's alright." I murmured softly.

He shifted awkwardly, peeking shyly up at me through his mess of honey colored haired.

"I'm Derek." He said quietly. "I don't think we--uh--got properly introduced last time."

I smiled gently. "Morgana Niera." I said with a small curtsey. "Your highness."

"Please, just call me Derek." He said awkwardly.

Our eyes caught for a moment and I gave him a reassuring look as his wide eyes reflected his apprehension and nervousness.

"Morgana! Morgana! Morgana!" Sally shrieked breathlessly as she bounced towards us. "Do you know him!?"

I rolled my eyes. "I met him once, I guess."

Derek glanced over at her, the exposed emotion swirling in his eyes immediately falling away, locking itself behind a darker shell. I watched him curiously, noticing the way his awkward stance instantly shifted into a more confident once, and a hint of a smirk twitched at the corners of his lips. My head tilted slightly to the side, my eyebrows furrowing as I observed the interaction between them. It appeared almost as if Derek had transformed into an entirely different person, first being the shy, awkward boy, and then the confident, arrogant prince. It was entirely baffling. How could a person shift like that so quickly?

"Morgana, darling, you do know it's disrespectful to approach royalty unannounced like that." My mother said quietly as she came towards us.