24. Don't Agree To 'Anything'

My feet pounded against the leaf-strewn forest floor. Above me, the branches swung back and forth in the gentle wind, the sky rapidly darkening into blackness. My entire body ached with each ragged breath, and I quickly found myself stumbling to the ground. I let myself crumble to my knees, struggling to regain my breath but my strength was too far gone. I pulled myself over to one of the wide tree trunks and leaned against it, clenching my eyes shut tightly.

"You should've listened to your lover, sweetheart." The voice startled me, it's tone cold with an icy amusement.

I opened my eyes, brushing my sweat coated hair from my eyes.

"He's not my lover." I spat.

The man only laughed and stepped forward. His thick coffee hair fell across his forehead as he leaned down towards me, his silvery blue eyes glinting with malice. He studied me for a long moment before sitting down on the forest floor before me.

"So it would seem." He murmured.

I pressed my back into the tree behind me. "Who are you?"

His lips tilted upwards in a taunting smile.

"I'm Lee, personal bodyguard of Charlie, ruler of Dawst."

I raised an eyebrow. "And what's the personal bodyguard of the ruler of Dawst doing all the way out here?"

He smirked. "Charlie has a personal quarrel with the Prince."

"Oh, I see." I gazed sorely into his eyes for a long moment. But then I let my lips turn upwards into a small smile. "That makes us allies then. Because I have a personal quarrel with him too."

He gazed at me curiously for a moment more.

"Well that makes things so much easier." He said finally, standing up. "Welcome aboard." He held out his hand to me.

I ignored it and stood up, watching him carefully as he nodded and turned. I pushed my hands out towards him abruptly, instantly feeling the familiar jolt shoot through me. An abrupt gust of wind shot from my fingers and slammed against Lee, knocking him across the forest. I remained guarded, but the man lay limply on the ground, his lips parted.

I backed up, brushing my hands off.

"Sorry about that, but I'm pretty sure you aren't an ally."

I turned to run, but froze suddenly when I nearly bumped into a tall figure. She didn't move, only gazed at me with dark storming eyes, her blonde hair falling out behind her in the gentle breeze. She wore a fitted blood red tunic, black trousers and hunting boots. Her fingers clasped loosely around the hilt of a long curved sword.

I took a step back, holding up my hands.

"Hey . . . ?"

The sword lifted up until the point rested just above my heart.

"You're just like him." She sneered. "Despicable."

I stared at her warily. "Like who?"

She scowled. "Don't play dumb. I know you were with him."