27. Don't Assist The Enemy

27. Don't assist the enemy

I inhaled deeply, relishing in the scent of moss and dirt. My eyes fluttered open, flitting across the tall midnight trunks circling my body. I couldn't make out the sky above, thousands of needled leaves veiled the white scattered blue. A dark grey fog shrouded over me, constricting my vision to merely a few meters.

I sat up from my bed of fallen leaves, wrapping a charcoal cloak around me. Where it originated, I'd no clue, but I was thankful for its warmth in the icy cold of the woods.

Derek crouched before me, his back facing me as he fumbled a bit with an object. I frowned, shifting in an attempt to see what he was concealing. A twig cracked beneath me and he glanced over his shoulder, frowning at my furrowed brows.

"What are you doing?" I asked cautiously.

His lips twitched upwards as his blue gaze twinkled. "Come here."

My eyes narrowed. "That didn't answer my question."

"It wasn't supposed to." He turned back to whatever he was doing. "Don't make me ask again.

I stood, only out of curiosity, and took a step towards him.

But then it struck me, a terrifying sinister presence simply hovering in the air. Icy tendrils of malice curled around me, stripping me of the cloak's warmth and sinking through my bones. A sense of darkening laughter mocked me, taunted me. A horrid evil pounced over my form, crumbling away at my mind.

My breath caught in my throat and I found myself frozen in place, my limbs trembling where they stood.

"No." It was a breath of horror, a representation of every absolute refusal of what I knew was about to be asked of me.

Derek glanced up, his gaze darkening as it slid over my form. He stood and turned to face me, reaching out a hand. I recoiled, gasping sharply as movement returned to my limbs. My head shook back and forth distantly, and my lips parted, murmuring the word over and over again, "No. No, no, no."

I could see behind him now, at the small necklace lying neglected on the forest floor. It shone brightly, a glimmering golden pendant with a midnight black Opal lying directly in its center.

It was right there. The necklace I'd tried to bring back. But it was just as powerful, even more so, and this one wasn't about to die, it was about to live. Just like Derek had tried to do with the ashes.

But I couldn't.

"This is the price for Charlie's life, Morgana."

I stumbled backwards. "I can't."

"You can. And you will." He commanded harshly. "Or I will go hunt Charlie down and she will get what she deserves for trying to hurt you."

My ragged breath tore at my weakened chest and I fell to my knees, unable to stop the wretched shudder wracking my body.

"I need food." I gasped. "Water."

He gazed at me for a moment before pulling a bag from his back. He opened it and set out a sandwich and apple on a cloth before me. He handed me a leather canteen. I tore it from his grasp and gagged down its entire contents, before dropping it and gasping.

"Eck! Tastes like leather!"

His lips twitched upwards. "Welcome back to the Middle Ages."

I frowned before rapidly devouring the food, uneasy churns occupying my stomach as Derek never once released me from his piercing gaze.