5. Never Find Yourself Alone

He was in every single one of my classes. Every single one. I didn't even know how he managed to get into the classes I needed special help with. So, it was just a bit harder to avoid him than I'd expected.

Just a bit.

My fingers tapped impatiently against the cold wood of the desk top. It was nearly the end of the school day and I'd successful avoided talking to him, even if I had to plainly ignore his existence a few times.

The gray-haired teacher pacing at the front of the classroom tapped his puggy fingers against the whiteboard where multiple equations had been listed. My eyes stared dully at his lips as they moved slowly, dowling out word after word after word. His hands lifted and dropped, folded and flexed. The footsteps of his expensive shoes clicked loudly against the tiled floor.

I couldn't hear what he was saying. He couldn't hear what I was thinking. I suppose that was for the best.

A small slip of paper nudged against my arm, but I ignored it, vaguely entranced by exhaustion. My head fell down onto my raised hand, pushing my elbow into the desk. The paper persisted to gain my attention.

Eventually I snatched up the paper from where it lay and unfolded it, if only to have something to distract me.

"When I gaze into your eyes
And see such a beautiful green
My heart whispers to me
And it's all I've ever seen

"The days I've stopped chasing
For the girl I must meet
The time you've stopped passing
My search was complete

"I finally discovered
What I'd known all along
A mystery uncovered
That just couldn't be wrong

"It wasn't what I miss
Nor the day that we met
But I realized something
I will never forget

"With the stars shining brightly
From high up above
I've one word to describe it
That word, be it, love

"I know now these feelings
For you, they are true
The girl of my dreams
And my soulmate, is you

"I think of it every time
That I look at the stars
This memory is mine
But that moment was ours"

I glanced over at Derek and raised an eyebrow. He smirked at me. I huffed and rolled my eyes.

I brushed it off lightly, but the note shook me down to the soles of my feet. Not because it was extremely creepy, but because it said the one word I was most wary of.

Love.

The creep said he loved me. Derek Darkling the deranged just wrote me a love poem.

The bell rang then, the irritating sound bouncing around the walls of the small classroom. I nearly leapt to my feet as I crushed the poem in my fist and swung my bag up onto my shoulder. I let my feet rush me from the room, the apprehension of being so close to Derek all day finally rising up from the corner I'd shoved it into. At that moment I wished for nothing more than to escape the crazy man.

I had just reached the front doors of the school when a warm hand clasped around my wrist, halting me immediately. I spun around swiftly, panic coursing it's way through my tingling limbs.

"Woah, there, Shaie. You look like you're about to attack somebody." A familiar voice laughed.

I relaxed instantly, allowing my shoulders to drop and my hands to unclench. My eyes turned towards the childish face of Daniel Rogers, a sweet blonde boy a year younger than me who used to live in my neighborhood. His milky brown eyes scanned over me in amusement as I pulled my wrist back from his grasp.