13. Don't Listen To Him

My breath left me all at once as I slowly faded back into existence. I remained lying on my bed, and I could feel the cold familiarity of my bedroom air. But also, I could sense that something was very very off.

And then I heard it, shallow breathing, dark breath fanning out into the air. An exhale that instantly brought cold tremors of terror flooding throughout my body. Then warm fingers brushed down my cheek, sending waves of horrid tingles over the surface of my skin. My eyes clenched tightly, my fingers curling around the bedsheets.

"I'm not all bad, Morgana ." He said softly.

I froze. Everything froze. My limbs. My blood. My mind. My heart. And then I let out a piercing scream.

He exhaled sharply and clasped his hand over my mouth. My eyes flew open, wallowing in the darkened blue ones of the man hovering above me.

Derek.

How did he get in here? Where was Gabby? Couldn't the other agents hear my scream?

"You'd better not scream when I remove my hand." Derek warned.

I glared at him, mumbling inaudible words into his palm. He pulled his hand back and I instantly lurched upwards, falling over the side of the bed as I scrambled away from him. His eyes followed me as my back hit the wall, my labored breathing creating an insistent ache in my chest.

"How did you get in here?" I asked quickly. "What do you want?"

Derek watched me curiously for a moment before starting towards me. I held out a hand, palm towards him in panic.

"Don't come any closer!"

He only raised an eyebrow. "How're you going to stop me?"

My gaze instinctively flickered to the pendant hanging round my neck. Derek noticed it, and muttered something incoherent under his breath.

"Morgana, come here." He commanded sharply, leaning a hand down on the bed post.

I stared at him, eyes wide. And then my lips let out a strangled laugh at the incredulity of the entire situation, but still I said nothing.

"I'm not going to hurt you." Derek sighed.

"After you held a knife to my neck, yeah right." I cried, still slightly out of breath. "Where's Gabby?"

His head tipped towards the desk chair. "Where she was when I came in."

I glanced towards the chair, my eyes locking on the woman's slumped form. I started towards her quickly, but Derek's hand clasped onto my arm as I stumbled past.

"What did you do to her?" I shrieked, desperately pulling away from him.

"She's asleep." Derek said dully. "As is everyone else attempting to guard this house."

"How--" I exclaimed, but Derek merely shushed me.

"I'm not going to tell you, so drop it." His eyes fell to the pendant for a long moment and I stilled, leaning as far from him as I could get. His hand stretched forward and wrapped around the crystal, freezing for a moment before he let go. He released my arm and I scrambled over to Gabby, frantically checking for a pulse. I sighed in relief when I found one and turned back to Derek, my heart thudding painfully in my chest.

His eyes had darkened to a misty blue, staring at the pendant with an undisguised loathing.

"Have you come here to kidnap me?" I asked.