14. Don't Tell Him The Truth

The sweet scent of wildflowers brushed through my nose as I inhaled deeply, a gentle smile sliding across my lips. Around me the field stretched out for endless miles, dozens upon dozens of wildflowers dancing gleefully in the cool wind. The soft fabric of my dress brushed up against my skin as I picked my way through the field, occasionally lifting up another small bulb to add to the ever growing bouquet clutched in my hand.

"I'm starving, Morgana. Can we please go back?" A voice whined from behind me.

I glanced over my shoulder at Sally as the breeze swept her light brown locks over her shoulder.

"I'm almost done. Just a few more minutes." I said with a smile. "These flowers have to be the best for Mother."

She sighed dramatically and fell down into the grass. "I don't want to wait another minute. You take forever!"

I chuckled. "Then you go back. I'll be there soon."

She leapt to her feet, her expression visibly brightening.

"Yes! Bye Morgana!" She turned on her heels and raced back through the field.

I gazed at her back with a knowing smile before resuming my leisurely task of picking flowers. I glanced up when the soft sound of rapid hoofbeats reached my ears. My eyes strained against the bright sunlight, squinting across the field at the distant figure moving quickly towards me.

As it moved closer I perceived a faint shouting, and my gaze picked up on the panicked thrashing of a young rider atop a horse. The chocolate brown mare raced towards where I stood, black eyes wide with panic while the boy on his back shouted and yelped.

"Help!" He bellowed. "Stop moving, you mangy beast!"

My eyes widened and the flowers slipped from my grasp as I started swiftly towards the two, acting solely on gut instinct. I positioned myself straight in the horses path, holding up my hands in an effort to halt his movement. I clenched my eyes shut as it approached tilting my head back.

"Stop!" I cried, my voice sounding loud even to my own ears.

There was an instant cry from the mare as the hooves came steadily closer, but just as they'd reached me, they set themselves down onto the ground and froze the horse's progress, unleashing a cloud of dust and dirt upon me.

I cracked my eyes open and stared up at the horse in amazement, frankly relieved I hadn't died. He let out a soft wicker and pawed the ground impatiently. I reached out a tentative hand and clasped onto the reins, attempting to sooth the mare with gentle words and sweet caresses.

"You can get off now." I called up to the rider, glancing over at his trembling form.

He straightened up indignantly, and brushed himself off before swinging his legs over the saddle and hopping down onto the grass. Honey brown hair showered his head just above a set of sky blue eyes underneath which lay a line of faint freckles. He appeared just a little older than I was at thirteen, and fairly wealthy from his extravagant choice of riding clothes.

"You idiotic girl." He spat harshly . "The stupid beast could have killed you."

I scoffed. "This sweet boy couldn't hurt a fly. And who are you to scold me? Was I the one cowering upon a spooked horse? No, I'm the one who saved your worthless hide. Be thankful."

He stared at me, eyes wide as if he'd never been spoken harshly to in his life.

"It doesn't matter." He snapped after a moment. "I'm still going to have to take this dumb creature back to Father so he can put it down."